cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

2012 Co-Existing With Earlier Versions...

Hi all,

I believe I read or was informed that IS 2012 can exist on the same system with IS 2010.

We moved to 2012 Premier for additional language support. I was hoping to only use 2012 for our next release and compile any additional installs of previous versions with IS 2010 as they were originally created.

Any info appreciated!

THANKS!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Yes, they can coexist on the same machine. A couple of things to note:

If you install the latest version last, anytime you double-click an .ism file, the latest version of InstallShield will try to open that project (and convert it to that new version, if applicable). So, you'll probably want to open old projects from the recent file list on the Start Page of the older version of InstallShield, or use the Open dialog box in that older version.

Also note that Visual Studio can be integrated with only one version of InstallShield at a time. The last version of InstallShield that is installed or repaired on a system is the one that is used for Visual Studio integration.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

I would guess/hope that InstallShield 2010 Pro projects will upgrade seamlessly to 2012 Premier if that is the way I have to go. ??

I'm just wondering because we use a product called Visual Build Pro for our software/installation build scripts and I have to find out if there is a way to differentiate between IS versions through that software.

I may have to switch to command lines to differentiate between what I want compiled with 2010 and 2012 - ISCmdBld.exe?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Ah, I'm not familiar with Visual Build Pro. In any case, though, each version of ISCmdBld.exe is installed to a different version-specific location by default, so perhaps you can have Visual Build Pro launch the appropriate version by specifying the full path.

For information on upgrading InstallShield 2010 projects to InstallShield 2012, see the following help topics:

Those help topics explain things to look out for when upgrading your projects.
0 Kudos