cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vijay_K
Level 4

2 Installers,Same Prod-GUID, diff Product Version, overwriting add/remove progs entry

Installscript Project.
Multi Instance Project.
Hi,
There are probably many threads related to this but I couldnt find them.
I have a problem.
My Product GUID's are the same,
My version is determined by the installer during runtime, the version can be 3.11.1, 3.11.2, 3.12.0 so on.

The problem I am facing is that, if I have a 3.11.1 installed, and then Install 3.11.2, it is overwriting the 3.11.1 entry in add/remove programs.
I guess becuase the PRODUCT GUID is the same, this is why I am facing this problem?
Is there a way to disable this? Is is possible to set the Product GUID to = the Instance GUID at runtime?

Cheers Guys.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Vijay_K
Level 4

In the installshield documentation it says that a multi instance project should create a new ARP entry everytime.
My ARP gets overwritten by a new release. If i install the new release then the old release I get 2 entries as expected.

Can any one help?
0 Kudos
Vijay_K
Level 4

bump ^... anyone?
0 Kudos
Narain
Level 2

Vijay,

change product ID and check if still problem exist
means change component id for particular File
0 Kudos
Vijay_K
Level 4

The instance GUID changed becuase its a multi-instance project. I dont really want to change the Product GUID.
Any other ideas.
I dont knwo why its doing this, as the installshield documentation says "multi instance projects create unique ARP entries".
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

In case of a InstallScript project, I think the instance id should be appended to the uninstall regsitry entry. Doeble check your script to see if it does this. Something like the following in OnCustomizeUninstInfo():
szUninstallName = szUninstallName + IFX_MULTI_INSTANCE_SUFFIX;
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
Vijay_K
Level 4

Stefan Krueger wrote:
In case of a InstallScript project, I think the instance id should be appended to the uninstall regsitry entry. Doeble check your script to see if it does this. Something like the following in OnCustomizeUninstInfo():
szUninstallName = szUninstallName + IFX_MULTI_INSTANCE_SUFFIX;

Thanks Stefan, I came across this, but it turned out to be a bug in the program I had written.
IFX_MULTI_INSTANCE_SUFFIX, i dont use this in my program, which never the OnCustomiseUninstInfo, this made things alot harder to debug, but I got there in the end, thanks mate.
0 Kudos