cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mel_003
Level 2

1) Not in Add/Remove 2) How to remove? 3) Who installed it?

Somehow this program InstallShield ended up on my Toshiba Tecra Laptop PC...
And is constantly asking to be updated... every time I restart my PC XP Pro laptop.

1 - I can not find it in Add/Remove programs... or did I miss it?
2 - How can I remove it from my PC?
3 - Did some application install this without my knowledge?
4 - I've had a bunch of PC's and never seen this before... why do I need it?
5 - Can I install applications without it?

Thanks for any help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Sairen
Level 7

Hi, Mel,

InstallShield - like this forum - is a tool used by developers to create installation wizards like the kind you might use to install games or media player applications.

The program you're seeing run on reboot is probably the malfunctioning remnant of someone else's installation package, maybe something that you downloaded and installed quite awhile ago.

Alternatively, it could be the Update Manager, also an InstallShield product, of some other application.

If you post a screenshot of what you're seeing, we can diagnose it a lot more rapidly If you're lucky. This isn't really the right forum for your question, but hey, it's Friday and I'm having a good day. 😉

I can tell you with near 100% certainty that it is not the actual product InstallShield since that costs $1000s of dollars and is pretty tricky to license, so it probably didn't exactly come bundled with your last iTunes update...

So how do you fix it: Look for the associate application - look for someone else's brand name or product name on the product when it launches. Hopefully they've made this easy for you. Finding that will enable you to uninstall the offending application. (should answer questions 1, 2, and 3)

As to 4 and 5, you may not have seen it because all other applications you've installed that use InstallShield technology have worked correctly until now. Alternatively, this might be the first application you've used that used their Upgrade Manager. Again, hard to say since I don't have a precise diagnosis for you based on your description.

And no, you don't need this as some sort of helper application to install stuff. Whatever you try to install should contain whatever it needs to make that happen.

So yes - look for the associated application (title bar, fine print, whatever) - post a screenshot if it isn't obvious ...and maybe we can help you go from there.
0 Kudos