cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
palanisamy
Level 7

0xb7 Error

During update installation(Installscript project type) of my application in Windows7 32 bit when UAC is High, during file transfer installer throws the following error

The following error occurred on the file "D:\Program Files\sample\sample.exe"
Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0xb7)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
palanisamy
Level 7

Please help 0xb7 issue
0 Kudos
Bineesh
Level 6

0 Kudos
kcomcowich
Level 2

I'm having a terrible time determining what's causing this error:

The following error occurred on the file 'D:\.....exe'.

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
(0xb7)

We're consistently seeing it on the same (but not all) machines running Win2008 R2. It's not the same files every time, but all within the same directory (from which the installed app runs).

When we see the problem, a file by the name of the one that's hung up exists in the directory... except with a .rra extension. When that file disappears, we can click 'retry' and the installer proceeds until the next problem.

We're even seeing this in a VM that has no anti-virus software on it.

We've run FileMon, ProcMon, etc... and haven't really been able to determine anything other than that explorer.exe has some funky cpu usage at the time that we're getting hung up.

• We've marked all the files as 'potentially locked' in the installer.
  • We've determined that the InstallShield engine folder doesn't exist (that I can find, anyway) on the servers.
  • We've cleaned out the Windows/temp folder.
  • We've tried to find the MS Visual Studio IDE *.deleteme files (none exist)
  • We're installing locally from c:temp or d:temp

We haven't tried installing in safe mode as that might not be allowed for the client sites, and so may not apply.

I haven't checked the path variable, but I'm guessing it's quite small in the VM (<300 chars).

Does anyone have anything new on this problem? I'm seeing a lot of hits on the web for it, but no real causes or solutions.

Much thanks!
Kev
0 Kudos