cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

(0x80040706 error) Where is the latest IS16-compliant install engine?

Our modest installer was created using InstallShield 16. Only recently, a handful of users are getting an Unhandled Exception (0x80040706) error. From what I've read, this means that these users have an older installer engine and they should install a newer version compatible with, in this case, IS16.

See: http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108322
and http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q110641

Problem is, nowhere can I find the latest engine a user should install that is compliant with IS16. I'm surprised IS doesn't build this right into the installer, or at least make that an option when building the package.

Help/ideas are very much appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The information on the Consumer Central pages only applies to InstallShield versions earlier than 12. Starting with IS 12, the InstallScript engine is no longer installed on a target machine, as it is built into ISSetup.dll that is included with a setup.

This is likely an issue with the setup itself. Error 0x80040706 indicates the installation script attempted to use a COM object that is null (this could also occur with use of a structure in InstallScript). Unfortunately, this type of issue typically needs to be reproduced to determine what object use was attempted (something like this is also the result of using COM objects outside of a try/catch in script, since any COM exceptions will be unhandled and propagate to an unhandled exception handler in internal script code).

To isolate this issue, we would recommend building a sample InstallScript project that contains a default setup.rul and then running this project on the machine(s) that encounter error 0x80040706. If the error does not occur with the sample project, then the issue is located in the script code of the project that encounters this error. If the error still occurs, then the issue is with internal script code. We would need to be able to reproduce this issue in-house to make a determination on the cause of the error.
0 Kudos