Digitally Sign Uninstaller
This article describes how to digitally sign the Uninstaller & other LaunchAnywhere launchers installed by InstallAnywhere Windows installer built from Non-Windows platform. After digitally signing the launchers, the Publish field of the UAC prompt of the Uninstaller & other launchers will be populated rather than referencing an Unknown Publisher.
This article outlines the steps necessary to get the launchers installed by InstallAnywhere windows installer built from Non-windows platform digitally signed. If the launchers are not signed, the UAC prompt that Windows displays on launch shows the unknown publisher type of UAC prompt.
After the Uninstaller & other launchers are digitally signed, Windows displays a UAC prompt that shows the name of the publisher that is identified by the digital certificate.
Here are the steps to digitally sign the Uninstaller & other launchers installed by Windows Installer built from Non-Windows platform:
- Install InstallAnywhere 2020 or earlier versions on Linux/MAC machine.
- Open the InstallAnywhere installation directory, where InstallAnywhere is installed.
- Create a temporary folder IA_Temp in a Windows machine
- Copy the folder <IA_HOME>\resource\launchanywheres\windows to the temporary IA_Temp folder in Windows machine
- Copy the folder <IA_HOME>\resource\launchanywheres\windows64 to the IA_Temp folder in Windows machine
- Copy <IA_HOME>\ resource\nativetools\windows\ IAWinDigiSign.exe to IA_Temp folder in Windows machine
- From the Windows machine sign all the lax_* files found in Windows & Windows64 folders using the below command :
IAWinDigiSign.exe /f <pfx file path> /o <Name of signer> /p <password>
/t <timestamp> /algo <algorithm> <executable to sign>
• /f parameter is the path of PFX Certificate file to be used for signing
• /o parameter is Signing Certificate Subject/certificate owner name
• /p parameter is the Password for encoded certificate
• /t parameter is the URL of time Stamp Server
• /algo parameter is the algorithm used for signing like CALG_SHA_256
followed by the Executable which is to be signed.
8. Copy the Windows & Windows64 folders with the Digitally signed lax_* files to the InstallAnywhere Installation directory in Linux/Mac machine, <IA_HOME>\resource\launchanywheres
9. Once the Windows & Windows64 folders with lax_* files are replaced in the Non- Windows machine, Launch the InstallAnywhere IDE & build Windows installer.
The Uninstaller & other launchers created by the built Windows Installer will be digitally signed and on launch Windows displays a UAC prompt that shows the name of the publisher.
If file attributes are to be applied using IAFileAttributes.exe or icon change has to be applied using IAIconChage.exe to the lax_* files , the same to be done before running IAWinDigiSign.exe.