cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowymike
Level 3

setting add or remove programs icon

IA gurus,

i'd like to set the icon that appears under Add or Remove Programs for the installable application i've created with IA. by default i see a generic icon that appears to have an image of a monitor, a tower, and a CD/DVD - this generic icon is used commonly by other installers, especially MS applications, so it may just be a system default if no icon is specified. to be more precise, i see this generic icon when installing on 2003 server, though inexplicably (to me) the icon i see on 2008 server is apache tomcat's icon. now we do install tomcat in our installer, but only as an unzipped collection of files, and i haven't seen how IA or Windows would be deciding its icon is the one to use.

in any case, i'd like to specify my own, custom icon. there are various places in IA that i can set a GIF icon, but i haven't found the right one for updating the Add or Remove Programs display. this post - http://installanywhere.blogspot.com/2008/06/adding-image-to-addremove-program.html - suggests i need to manually add a DisplayIcon entry in the registry with a path to my icon. while that seems to work in limited testing, i have a number of questions with that approach, including a) where should the icon be installed so it remains present even during the uninstall action? b) where in the IA project definition should i delete the icon? c) where in the IA project definition should i delete the registry entry?

i'm hoping there is a more standard way to accomplish this than mucking with DisplayIcon. is there a preferred mechanism of setting the icon for a program that appears under Add or Remove Programs?

thanks.

-mike
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Quoting from a support message on a similar question I asked: there seems to be a workaround:

Add "Set Windows Registry-Single Entry" action as the last in the Visual Tree of the Install Task (i.e., InstallAnywhere IDE). Before this action, add the icon file (.ico format) which you want it to be displayed in the Add\Remove Programs. The "Registry Key" path of this action has to be located to your Project (i.e., My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroSoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"Product-Name"). The "Value Name" of this action should be "DisplayIcon" and the "Data" should have the location of the icon file where it will be installed in the Windows machine.
0 Kudos
rox163
Level 5

Setting the registry entry through the IA action is the only way to do this.
0 Kudos