cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmilbratz
Level 3

problems getting ant output when running installer

Hi,

I have a couple problems with our InstallAnywhere installer.

Our install paradigm works like this:
* Installer collects a lot of info from the user and puts it in a property file
* Installer runs ant (via 'ant.bat' or 'ant.sh' depending on the OS). Ant actually does the 'heavy lifting'

Here's one of the problems:

* Ant fails
* User does not know why.

To "workaround" this problem, I tried capturing the output of ant. I've tried the following, unsuccessfully:
* in the "Execute Command" action, I've specified values for 'store processes stdout in:' by specifying a file name'
* tried appending '1>deploy.log 2>deploy.err' to the 'command line'.

To summarize the question:
How do I capture the script output?

I
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

I'm sorry that it might not be the answer you would expect, I mean it's not even an answer, it's more like a question: is there any reason for which you have to use ANT instead of using the IA built-in capabilities of installing files (and maybe doing any other operations). It has even the ability of running ANT scripts for you.
0 Kudos
wmilbratz
Level 3

>is there any reason for which you have to use ANT instead of using the IA >built-in capabilities of installing files (and maybe doing any other operations).

We have a pretty complex build system. We can maintain it easier in ant for several reasons. Our 'production' build is a subset of our 'development build. It's easier to enforce the relationship/keep consistency if they both use the same tool: ant.

>It has even the ability of running ANT scripts for you.
Which action will run an ant script?

thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

When you're in the Install task, click on Add Action then in the General tab you have the Execute ANT Script action.
0 Kudos