cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrokicki
Level 4

one project/multiple different platform results?

Hello community!

Can I have a single installer project that will build 2 (or more) platforms but the contents are slightly different? And when I build one platform, IA doesn't care that the files for the other platform are missing (from GUI preferrably)?

I have a common set of files (a) and platform specific files (b) and (c), i would like to build Platform 1 with (ab) without worrying that (c) is not present. Currently with the GUI, it will complain that these files are missing.

Perhaps assigning a component or feature to a platform? Or must I have seperate projects per platform to accomplish this?

thanks in advance!

- john
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Yes, you can! You have an IA option to ignore missing files when loading and when building the project, and then what you need to do is to add all files to your project, and put the platform condition on the needed files. Thus when any of the platforms is built, only the necessary files are included (and the files for the other platforms are ignored).
0 Kudos
jrokicki
Level 4

Hi Vlad,
Thanks for the quick response!
Unfortunately, same results.

I added a "Check Platform" rule to the features, components, and files based on their required platform.

I set the IA preferences to never complain about missing files (command line and manifest building).

Run the build and it still complains about the same file being missing (as it rightfully should be).

Anything that I (or you) may have forgotten?
Using IA2009 (no service packs) for a few more days...

Thanks!
- john
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well, there might be another option, which is project related. Go to the Build tab, then to Distribution and then check Optimize Installer Size by Platform. Does this do the trick? If not, would it be possible for you to post your project and the build logs?
0 Kudos
jrokicki
Level 4

Those options are already checked.

From the command line, this seems to work. I will have to test the results, but at least there is something there. It does issue a warning about missing files but continues.

From the GUI, it just displays two "Source Path XXXX incorrect" dialogs when it can't find the first file for two different source paths. Those two files are not meant to be distributed with that platform, thus do not exist.

thanks!!!

- john
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well, that is definitely odd. But as we, for instance, have an automatic build process, that uses the command line build, all these things work (and we no longer can build the projects in graphic mode, as there are quite a few preprocessing operations).
0 Kudos