cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rashmi_setty
Level 2

need help regarding creating installer for C based program

I am new to InstallAnyWhere product. We have product which is developed in C language. I want to create installer to onstall this product using InstallAnyWhere. I want to know is there any documentation available for crating a installer for C based prgram.

In the user guide they have only explained about installing java based program . I want some guidance regarding C based program.

Does it also require a java main class?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
pv7721
Level 20

Obviously, as IA is a multi-platform tool for creating installers and it's Java-based, is more suited for Java-created programs, but of course, nothing prevents you from using for installing C-based programs.

But first of all, you should first find the answer to this question: on what platforms do you want to install your program: Windows, Unices (Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX etc.) other? If you need more than one platform (Unix and Linux), IA might be the tool for you. If it's Windows only, maybe InstallShield it's more adapted (or maybe you want to use platform specific tools, like RPM or Deb for Linuxes, or Solaris packages).

If you really need a multi-platform installer, then I guess you may use IA: obviously, you don't need no main class, but you might want to bundle a JVM with your installer, thus insuring that your installer will run no matter the platform (i.e. IA needs a JVM in order to run, and if you don't bundle any with your installer, it'll be smaller, but it won't be sure it'll run on the target platform (Java is a pre-requisite)).

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos