cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nileshrathodn
Level 6

custom code panel in install task!!

Hi all,

I need to ask about some input on some condition at install time only!!!
Can anyone guide me how to implement custom code panel at install time?? as we dont have option for custom code panel at install time????

Thanks in advance,
Nilesh Rathod.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

If by Install Time you mean when files are installing, I'm afraid that you cannot control that, you cannot pause the installation and ask user for input. All that must be done in Pre-Install task.
0 Kudos
nileshrathodn
Level 6

pv7721 wrote:
If by Install Time you mean when files are installing, I'm afraid that you cannot control that, you cannot pause the installation and ask user for input. All that must be done in Pre-Install task.

Hi,
Actually I m going to create user in install task.(it's not possible in pre-install task).By following steps of adding database host and then running script.
I ask user at pre-install time the necessary inputs. But at install time after the script has been run if the error occured in user creation I want user to input again the necessary parameters.
can you guide me how to do so???

Thanks & Regards,
Nilesh Rathod.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Again, I think it's not possible. I'm doing something similar and you need to do this stuff in the pre-install task, where you can recover from such an error. In the install task is too late, even if you can throw an error, you cannot go back and ask the user from a correct input.
0 Kudos
aaa123
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
Again, I think it's not possible. I'm doing something similar and you need to do this stuff in the pre-install task, where you can recover from such an error. In the install task is too late, even if you can throw an error, you cannot go back and ask the user from a correct input.

IA, as an install tool, should really allow its user to control what they want to do with it. At least if they cannot do it (for reason I don't understand for the life of me), they should allow us to have custom InstallAction that we can control our installer destiny. Example is to actually fail the installer based on certain complexity after user hits the install button.
0 Kudos