cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Where is my uninstaller?

Where is the Uninstaller? I expected it to be in some obvious folder in my installation. The documentation doesn't seem to give any "do/don't create uninstaller" options, nor could I find any on any obvious screens. Searching for documentation or on the community for him about "uninstaller location" understandably doesn't work, as there are lots of people who are asking lots of questions that have the word "uninstaller" but don't say anything about where it goes. The install log doesn't have any errors in it.

Summary
-------

Installation: Successful.

1848 Successes
0 Warnings
0 NonFatalErrors
0 FatalErrors
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

There should be an Uninstall subfolder in your installation folder, where your Uninstaller should reside.
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Turns out that with a simple misstep you can DELETE YOUR UNINSTALLER and then you CAN'T GET IT BACK. I have an uninstaller in a brand new project that I create, but I must have deleted it from my original project by mistake, because it's not there. And there's no way to recover that I can see, I think I have to start from scratch creating my installer.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Relax, things are not so bad how they look. As soon as you've deleted the Uninstaller, if you go to the Install task, and you click on the Add Action button, in the Install tab in the newly opened window you have the Create Uninstaller action. This should do the trick (i.e. it should recreate the uninstaller for you). As normally you have an Uninstaller created within any new project, this action is hidden (you can't have 2 uninstallers), but if you delete it and decide to recreate it, the action is available again.
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Thanks. I'm sure I looked for that already, but maybe I looked while in a project which had its uninstaller. I have confused myself many times with my multiple projects as I try different experiments!
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Indeed, like I've said, in a project that already has an uninstaller, the action is hidden (as it doesn't make sense to create more than one uninstaller). I had to check the manual in order to be sure that such action really existed. When I could not find it, I deleted the uninstaller and surely, it appeared!
0 Kudos
purcellk24
Level 7

It would be a good idea too to put your project into a source control system such as cvs or subversion. This way you can always go back a revision, etc.
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Yes, eventually we'll have source control on our IA projects. But right now I'm just learning as we struggle with the "upgrade" path from ISMP (of course we weren't actually at 11.5, so it's "start over" for us), with lots of different experiments. Do you commit your changes every 10 minutes? I surely don't... I wait til I have something worth committing.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Please see this post: http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=180480 Source controlling as Kevin suggested might be the ONLY way to get back changes you made (and prove to be wrong, for instance) as there is no Undo... And sometimes only opening a project and going somewhere in it might trigger the project change and by default the Advanced Designer is set to save the project.
0 Kudos