cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
table01
Level 4

Upgrade Code?

I'm making a kind of generic app that launches various installation packages. One of the installations I need to launch was created using InsatllAnywhere. I want to detect the presence and version of any previous installtions. I do that for other installed apps by calling MsiEnumRelatedProducts with the "Upgrade Code" for the app in question.

Is there a way to find the Upgrade Code for the Install Anywhere app I already have (it's a single exe).

Is there another way to detect the presence and version of an app installed via InstallAnywhere?

Thanks for any feedback!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
table01
Level 4

I was talking to the person that created the Install Anywhere installation I'm working with and they seemed unfamiliar with an "Upgrade Code". I've never used IA, so I didn't know where to ask him to look. Is there someplace in InstallAnywhere where the Upgrade Code can be found?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

InstallAnywhere installations don't really have an equivalent to MSI's UpgradeCode property. Is there some other telltale sign you could search for, such as the product's Add or Remove Programs information, or a file with a given name and version or size?
0 Kudos
table01
Level 4

Thanks Robert,

I'll ask the folks that made the install if they recommend something to look for.

But how does InstallAnywhere determine if it's doing an upgrade?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I don't know that InstallAnywhere has a specific upgrade mode; the current version of IA exposes an API for getting information about products installed using IA, but I gather that needs to be called from a running IA installer...
0 Kudos
table01
Level 4

Thanks again Robert. You've saved me a lot of time.
0 Kudos
amitha
Level 3

Hi ,
I want to use MsiEnumRelatedProducts in my code.I have the upgrade code.Can you gimme a sample code as to how to make use of thsi function.

Amitha

table01 wrote:
I'm making a kind of generic app that launches various installation packages. One of the installations I need to launch was created using InsatllAnywhere. I want to detect the presence and version of any previous installtions. I do that for other installed apps by calling MsiEnumRelatedProducts with the "Upgrade Code" for the app in question.

Is there a way to find the Upgrade Code for the Install Anywhere app I already have (it's a single exe).

Is there another way to detect the presence and version of an app installed via InstallAnywhere?

Thanks for any feedback!
0 Kudos