cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janhar
Level 3

Forward/Backward Slash Issue - please help!

I need *emergency* assistance if possible and would appreciate any assistance I can get!
Honestly I'm ready to just tar the directory up and ship the flat structure.
This has been the most difficult to navigate, complicated, time consuming product
I have used in years.

We need to ship AIX, Windows and Linux installers. While the platform settings indicate the
forward/backward slash settings, the values in the installer are incorrect and there is no way
to modify in the panels!

How do I avoid invalid directory delimiters?

The default setting in my Windows installation:
USER_INSTALL_DIR=C:\\Program Files\\IBM/AIX-IC_6.1

(Note the forward slash before AIX-IC!!!)

I have not modified platform settings.

In the "Install" panel, all files and speed folders show
Destination Path: "User Install Folder" with a "/" which cannot be modified.

The installation proceeds,see log below... however errors occur during uninstall, presumably
because of this forward slash.

Install Directory: C:\Program Files\IBM/AIX-IC_6.1/eclipse\

Install File: C:\Program Files\IBM\AIX-IC_6.1\eclipse\configuration................

Shouldn't IA handle these slashes accordingly? The Installer panel is not specific to platform, so I honestly don't know how that is even possible.

I should note - it appears to vary based on the platform on which I'm running. If on AIX the default slash following User Install Folder is "/" - but again - I'm building for multiple platforms. That is the point of using IA

Thanks to anyone for guidance!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jerome_IA
Level 9

Whenever you use path separator, you need to use "$/$" which will be set to the correct "/" or "\" according to the platform on which the installation will occur.

>In the "Install" panel, all files and speed folders show
>Destination Path: "User Install Folder" with a "/" which cannot be modified.

This is because you use IA on Unix, but do not care about this, it will be handled correctly at installation time.

Did this help?

--Jerome
0 Kudos
janhar
Level 3

Thanks Jerome!
I could not find where I had manually added such separators, so in the XML file I corrected the slash here (which was wrong)

IBM\$PRODUCT_NAME$

That seemed to work. I will take heed to your recommendation of "$/$" for future updates as well, and thanks for pointing that out!

jerome_IA wrote:
Whenever you use path separator, you need to use "$/$" which will be set to the correct "/" or "\" according to the platform on which the installation will occur.

This is because you use IA on Unix, but do not care about this, it will be handled correctly at installation time.

Did this help?

--Jerome
0 Kudos
janhar
Level 3

Does that mean that I should also change
this: $USER_INSTALL_DIR$/eclipse
to this:$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$eclipse

jerome_IA wrote:

Did this help?

--Jerome
0 Kudos
RamyaVenkatesh
Level 7

Hi,

Yes, it is always advisabe to use $/$ instead of platform specific path separators. You will not face any issues with this when buiding installers for multiplatform.

Thanks
0 Kudos