cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandy_2008
Level 7

Unknown publisher warning when running installer

We upgraded from IA7.1.3EE to IA2008VP1EE. and when I run the windows installer created with this new tool, it gives the 'Unknown Publisher' Warning.
What does it mean?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

AFAIK it means that your installer is not digitally signed.
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

Thanks Vlad.. What it happened and What am I supposed to do now?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Again, AFAIK there isn't anything you can do within IA. If you want this warning to go, you'll need to purchase a digital certificate and sign your setups. But even then the warning will still be displayed, but instead of Unkown Publisher the name of your company will appear.
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

Thanks Vlad, I have some more questions:
1. So, do I need to purchase the cerificate from certificate authority?
2. Do I need to give CA, the public key?
3. How do I generate the public key?
4. Is there an alternative to CA? Can I use makecert tool to generate my own certificate?
0 Kudos
zunkination
Level 4

www.verisign.com

Versign is a CSA - Certificate Signing Authority. It costs money to get certificates from them, but depending on what you're doing with your software, some customers might actually demand that you sign with a CSA.

I believe there are ways to generate your own certificate (as you say makecert), look around on the web and I'm sure you can find the tools needed and procedures for doing it. But these certificates are "trusted" and may issue different warnings when you launch the installer. The certificate is supposed to ensure that your binary files aren't modified.

A CSA actually does research on your company before determining if you are a "trusted" source or not.
0 Kudos