cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xavier_Outhier
Level 4

Uncontrolled silent installation on Windows?

Hi,

when running installer (with AI2013 but it was the case with 2012 at least) in silent mode on Windows, the command immediately returns unlike on Unix where the command only returns when the installation is finished.
Is there a way to workaround this bug?

Thanks,

Xavier.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

For me silent installation always worked on Windows platform as well. Have you logging enabled? Checking the installation log might be helpful in debugging the issue.
0 Kudos
Xavier_Outhier
Level 4

pv7721 wrote:
For me silent installation always worked on Windows platform as well. Have you logging enabled? Checking the installation log might be helpful in debugging the issue.

Hi Vlad,

it works but not the same way as on Unix. On Unix when launching silent mode, the command doesn't return immediately by starting in the background a process. It only returns when the installation finishes that is what you would expect. So it's possible to retrieve the exit code and work with it. On Windows, it returns immediately and start a process in the background. How to get rid of this behavior that is not coherent between Unix and Windows?

Thanks,

Xavier.
0 Kudos
UtsabKarmakar
Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Hi,

It’s windows behaviour, that when you run a GUI Application from command prompt it will launch the process and directly give back the control to the console. In order to achieve what you are looking for do the following configuration.
1. Open the project file in IDE
2. Navigate to Build > Build Installers > Build Targets > Windows(applicable for both win32 and win64 installers) and expand the Windows platform
3. Under the JVM Search Settings there are two radio buttons “Graphical Launcher” and “Console Launcher”
4. Select the “Console Launcher” radio button.
5. Build the installer
Now run the installer from command prompt(windows).

Let me know whether this helps what you are looking for.

Regards,
Utsab Karmakar
0 Kudos
Xavier_Outhier
Level 4

UtsabKarmakar wrote:
Hi,

It’s windows behaviour, that when you run a GUI Application from command prompt it will launch the process and directly give back the control to the console. In order to achieve what you are looking for do the following configuration.
1. Open the project file in IDE
2. Navigate to Build > Build Installers > Build Targets > Windows(applicable for both win32 and win64 installers) and expand the Windows platform
3. Under the JVM Search Settings there are two radio buttons “Graphical Launcher” and “Console Launcher”
4. Select the “Console Launcher” radio button.
5. Build the installer
Now run the installer from command prompt(windows).

Let me know whether this helps what you are looking for.

Regards,
Utsab Karmakar

Hi,

this is the solution. 🙂

Actually, I've found it documented since IA 2012 in the User Guide in chapter Console Installers as a note:
"If the installer is built with a console launcher and is launched from the command prompt, the prompt will wait
until the launched process is complete before opening a new prompt."

It works even when using ANT task with this parameter: OverrideAllPlatformSettings="true"
Is there an option in the ANT task to set it even if not set in the iap_xml?
The EDI is not used for building in my project and all the build targets have been completely removed.

Thanks,

Xavier.
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Hi,

If your issue is only retrieving installer return code in testing silent mode, you can simply call your executable from inside a batch file ... that way, the script will only exits after the installer exits.

Regards

Jerome
0 Kudos
Xavier_Outhier
Level 4

jerome_IA wrote:
Hi,

If your issue is only retrieving installer return code in testing silent mode, you can simply call your executable from inside a batch file ... that way, the script will only exits after the installer exits.

Regards

Jerome

Hi,

This also works.

Thanks,

Xavier.
0 Kudos