cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirann_hegde
Level 5

Strange issue on Japanese OS

Hello,

I am using InstallAnywhere 8 enterprise edition to install one of our products on a windows server 2003 Japanese OS.

There is a utilit which is packaged in one of the merge modules and is included in our installer. The utility is extracted during the install time and copied to Program Files directory. Upon copying, it is executed from Program Files directory. However what is strange is that the utility execution operation from InstallAnywhere is failing. The logs suggest that Program is not recognized, which indicates that the execution is failing as a result of spaces with the path(Program Files). However if i execute the same manualy from the command line without enclosing the path in double quotes, the utility executes sucessfully.

What could be wrong here? I am stuck. Please help.
I have inspected teh server and the server is configured to use short path names(8.3 registry setting).

What are the next steps i could try? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Kiran Hegde
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

If I'm not mistaken, historically, IA had troubles installing in path that contain non-alphanumeric characters (I think it choked on a ! in the path, let alone Japanese characters).
0 Kudos
kirann_hegde
Level 5

Thanks for the response.
However this is happening on only 2 Japanese OS, not everywhere.
What could be wrong?

How do i generate a verbose log?
How do i debug problems with InstallAnywhere?
What are the next debugging steps i could use?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Also if someone is aware as to what windows API is called during launching an executable operation, could you please let me know?
I want to use the same API using a test program and see if it is working.
Regards,
Kiran Hegde
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

So you mean it happens only on 2 machines with Japanese OSes, but not on all machines? Are the installation steps exactly the same as for the rest of the machines for which it works? Maybe there's something wrong with these two machines?

There aren't too many ways to debug an IA installation: you've got a Debug Output action which writes information in a log file.

You mentioned an API but I'm not sure I understood in what way it is related to your issue.
0 Kudos