cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharon
Level 5

Running one IA installation from another one

Hi,

I need to run silently one IA installation from another.
As far as I can see, I need to use an execute command on the main installation that will run the other installation in silent mode (giving it a properties file). Is this the best way to do it?
I would like to know if there is any built-in procedure for this kind of situation (like creating a merge module in installshield and including it in a basic msi, for example. All I could find was built-in merge modules that can be inserted to a new IA installation).

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sharon.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

When I had to do something similar, I preferred the solution of silently running the 2nd installation from the 1st one, as AFAIK there was no built-in method for doing this...
0 Kudos
sharon
Level 5

Hi all,

I would still like to know if there is any possibility to create a new merge module for one installation in IA and embed it whithin another installation.

In addition: If I decide to run one installation in the pre-install stage of another installation, can I put its executable in IA_PROJECT_DIR of teh main installation and give this path as the execute command path? Will the main installation be able to load it in the pre-install stage?

Thanks again to you all,
Sharon.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

I'm sorry but I don't have experience with Merge Modules... I'm inclined to say it should work what you're trying to do, but I also know that historically merge modules had some issues... So only by trying will you see if it works or not, isn't it? 🙂
0 Kudos
atin_banerjee
Level 2

Hello All,
I have a use case wherein the installer built with IA 2009 Enterprise edition will be invoked in "silent mode" from another installer. Now when I run the installer in silent mode from the command line, it invokes the installer as a background process i.e. the command prompt returns for next command after invoking the installer as a background process.
How can I run the silent installer as a foreground process so that the calling installer knows that installer has completed it job after the command returns?

Regards,
Atin
0 Kudos