cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
munsingh
Level 6

Requirement for InstallAnyhere

Dear IA Product Manager,

It would be really great if you could add a requirement to IA to support web installs (the way InstallShield) provides. This will help a number of IA users to create installers which are small boot-strap exe, which when executed shows all the UI, and then download files from some webserver or file server based on the features selected by the user.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
manzoor_matoo
Level 4

Hi,

The feature "Web Installs" is already present in the IA. You can find it under the "Build Installers" tab at the lower right corner of the screen.

Thanks,

Manzoor
0 Kudos
bfox1973
Level 3

manzoor.matoo wrote:
Hi,

The feature "Web Installs" is already present in the IA. You can find it under the "Build Installers" tab at the lower right corner of the screen.

Thanks,

Manzoor

That's not what he's talking about. The term "Web Installs" is used to refer to an installer that has all its components in one package (exe, bin, etc.) He's talking about an installer that downloads its components from another location.

I've actually tried this with FLEXNet Connect. I created a product on FLEXNet Connect, posted a merge module for that product, then wrote custom code for an installer that checks the server, and downloads and runs the merge module from a temp location. Seemed to work okay. It was an experiment I tried awhile ago, and the custom code has been lost to the sands of time (and hard drive failure). I may try to set it up again when I have a moment.
0 Kudos
RamyaVenkatesh
Level 7

Hi,

If the requirement is for the installer to get files off a server, you can use the Download File action provided by IA. This supports different protocols like ftp, http etc., The installer can then use these to configure the rest of the application.

Did that help?

Thanks,
Ramya
0 Kudos
bfox1973
Level 3

Huh. Did not know that existed. It appears to have been added with IA 2011 Service Pack 3. I'll have to play around with that when I get a moment.
0 Kudos
munsingh
Level 6

I also didn't know about this action. Looks like this might meet my requirements. For the benefit of others here is a screenshot of this new action.
0 Kudos