cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gjandris
Level 5

Read in properties file when building installer

Is there a way to read in an external properties file when building an installer? We want to add the current build number automatically each time we run a build. Having the current build number put into a properties file by the build, then read by installanywhere when the installers are built so that this information can be displayed on the Intro panel. Is there a way to do this?:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
jack_bauer
Level 3

Check out the plugins at:
http://www.acresso.com/downloads/downloads_7399.htm

There is one called PropertiesFileReader which is simple to use and it sounds like what you are looking for.
0 Kudos
gjandris
Level 5

Unfortunately that won't work. I am looking to have this information as part of the installer build process. So that
when the preinstall panels run the introduction screen will
have the information. Before any files are laid down.
0 Kudos
gjandris
Level 5

I see there are DIM references you can create with IA Collaberation. You can set runtime variables in one of these.
How do I use these variables once I add the DIM reference to the installer. I can't find any good documents about what to do with them. Just how to include and edit them.
0 Kudos
jack_bauer
Level 3

If you use the PropertiesFileReader in conjunction with another plugin called ExtractToFile you can do what you are looking to do. You would use the ExtractToFile plugin to drop the properties file on the file system in preinstall. You could then read the file into IA variables using PropertiesFileReader, pointing to the file you dropped with ExtractToFile.
0 Kudos
scottM3t4
Level 2

I have a similar situation but not exactly. My IA project references several files that contain the version number in their names. The version includes a time stamp in it so it changes with each build. I am referencing the version number via a variable in IA. At build time I need to update the version variable so that the installation files are the correctly named, thus allowing the builder to find and add them to the build output tree structure, etc. I'm not sure how to set the version variable correctly. Right now, I'm just setting the variable value to be a token (#VERSION#) that gets replaced by the actual version number in my main ant build script before executing the InstallAnywhereAntTask task. I'm hoping there is a better way of doing this built into InstallAnywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

If your files are to be found in a folder that doesn't change its name you can use a speed folder that would install the respective folder contents (i.e. the files that keep changing names). This way you won't need to care on how they're named, the speedfolder will include all the files it can find, without knowing the names in advance.
0 Kudos