cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frankca
Level 3

Problems installing on Windows Server 2008

I have few problems installing InstallAnywhere 2008's generated installation on Windows Server 2008. I'd like to know what are the best general approaches to determine if there's any problem with installation without debugging if possible (e.g. checking the stdout/err, etc.)?

For references, here are the problems:
1) All custom variables passing to custom code are undefined
2) $PROGRAMS_DIR$\xxx doesn't expand to "C:\Program Files\xxx" but just "C:\Program Files"
3) No menu item in All Programs menu.

Thanks,
Frank
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Are you using IA 2008 or IA 2008 Value Pack 1?
0 Kudos
frankca
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
Are you using IA 2008 or IA 2008 Value Pack 1?

Sorry, it's InstallAnywhere 8.0 build 3063. Do you know if any updates to 8.0 like 8.0.1 supports Windows Server 2008?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Then you've posted in the wrong forum, you should have posted here: http://community.flexerasoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244
So in your case, the issue is clear: I think you need at least IA 2008 VP1 in order to be able to support Windows 2008 server.
0 Kudos
frankca
Level 3

Yeah I'll move this post. Nevertheless, just want to note that my other installation build with IA 8.0 installs fine on Windows Server 2008 (similar setup)! I don't think IA 8.0 doesn't simply support Windows Server 2008 all or nothing.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Once again the issue simple, I think: given that IA 8 was released 2 years BEFORE Windows 2008 (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installanywhere#Release_history) I do not see any way it can support an OS that did not exist at that time, simply because the OS was not available yet and they could not test it! They could not test it, they don't support it! And for good reason, as you've found out, there are issues if you take a setup created with that version and try to install it. You may be able in the end to tweak it and get it installed without errors, but the bottom line is that Windows 2008 is not a platform supported by IA 8.
0 Kudos