cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heroesmith
Level 3

No JVM error while running IA Installer on Unix

Hello, I have to design an installer for Linux, Windows and Unix systems, that's why we choose IA 2008 (VP1 version). On windows and Linux no problem at the install part, but on Unix, I've got those messages :

"Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH
environment variable. You must install a VM prior to
running this program."

I have bundled a VM (JRE 1.6 Solaris SPARC) in the installer "UNIX_with_VM", and I have also tried Solaris Output but I always have the same message.

For the other plateforms Windows and Linux, I don't have same results :
- build Windows with VM bundled : OK
- build Windows without VM bundled : OK
- build Linux with VM bundled : OK
- build Linux without VM bundled : Same message
Does it mean that I have a VM on the test computer under Windows, and no VM on the other computer under Linux so I have to bundle one in Linux installer ? If yes, why don't we always bundle a VM in installers in order not to have this kind of problem ?

Thanks by advance for clues 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

You say you're attempting the install on an Unix, but you also say that you've bundled a JRE 1.6 Solaris SPARC, so am I correct in assuming that the Unix you've attempting the install on IS a Solaris?

If you build an installer without an VM then in order to install you NEED to have a suitable VM installed on the target machine BEFORE attempting the installation. By suitable I mean that the rules for Java you set in the installer must match the existing VM (you can say for instance to the installer to use a Java 1.6 minimum, so even if you had Java 1.5 installed that wouldn't be usable by the installer).

To ask your final question, in order not to have any issues yes it is best to always bundle a JVM. There are however situations like application that don't need Java post-installation, so in order not to make setups too big, no JVM is bundled and the end-user must install a JVM in order to be able to use the install.
0 Kudos
Heroesmith
Level 3

Thanks for your quick answer,
yes, the Unix system is a Solaris one
The JVM asked to be available is the default choice : 1.4 or greater so the 1.6 should be good.
I'll have a check on access rights even if I had a try in my home directory for install target of VM
0 Kudos
jkehoe
Level 4

Heroesmith wrote:

No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH
environment variable. You must install a VM prior to
running this program."

I have a related question. Is it possible to change this error message to be more specific?

For instance my installer requires java 1.5+ and I'd like to give an error message that states it couldn't find 1.5 or greater if the user has a 1.4 JVM installed.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

This is an internal IA message, so I think it's only Flexera Software that can change the message in an upcoming version... but only if you file an bug report and if it gets fixed...
0 Kudos
jkehoe
Level 4

Thanks, that's what I thought. It's not a big deal.
0 Kudos