cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tfromm1
Level 7

Loosing IA 20010 registration on build-server

Since 2 weeks I have an strange problem at my build server:
The registration of IA products get lost at startup of them.

Following happens:
I start IA sometimes it works, sometimes it starts and says: "evaluation period expired". This problem appears on all IA version I use.
When I try to register the product again, sometimes I get the warning: "invalid registry key", sometimes the registration works. Then, after successful registration, I want to use the IA GUI or the IA command line builder but fail again sometimes with evaluation period expired error.

I tried to exclude several possible error-sources. I changed to an other server, running a different linux distribution (an older one, to exclude possible kernel updates as reason). This helps a little bit, the cases where the IA-startup fails, is only at 60%. (at the server mentioned above it fails at ~ 90%). Then I moved all files to local divices (the home directory where .InstallAnywhere is found and the installations of the IA products).
This changes helps not really.
Then (to avoid that IA removes IAkey.class and so on on startup) I revoked any write permissions on the .InstallAnywhere directory and the installation folder of the IA products. Now, no files are changed and when I try to start, it fails only at 10%.

Now I have an situation where I don't need to register the product again, but I need to start it possible multiple times, until I get an working program.
This is really bad in case of automated builds :-(((

Do you have any advices/ideas?

What I also tried:
Analyze network communication at failed startups -> no network communication to outside the LAN. Also in this cases where my registration key is identified as invalid, without result.
I excluded any chance, that I wrote the key in a wrong format. Sometimes the key is accepted as valid, sometime its not.
Also I tried to find any errors using a strace-output log. But thats really complex to find there differences between an positive start and a failed one.

And: The problems happens with all IA versions. IA 2008/2009 and so on.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

I'm afraid that only support can help you in this case.
0 Kudos
tfromm1
Level 7

And I'm afraid that support doesn't understand the problem. 😞
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

You could ask to speak with a support manager. For now, my impression was that the 3rd tier support would go the extra mile to help...
0 Kudos
tfromm1
Level 7

Yeah, welcome spam!
0 Kudos
tfromm1
Level 7

Just to the OP:

The problem has maybe something to do with DNS services.
IA sends Key as kind of a DNS request. Currently I work together with the support and my local systema dministration to find a solution... and finally the real cause.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

tfromm1 wrote:
Yeah, welcome spam!

You know you can report it as well (I've just did) (it's the little ! (exclamation mark traffic sign)
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

tfromm1 wrote:
Just to the OP:

The problem has maybe something to do with DNS services.
IA sends Key as kind of a DNS request. Currently I work together with the support and my local systema dministration to find a solution... and finally the real cause.

Yeah, they seem to be using a very peculiar way of verifying the registration, by sending some specially crafted DNS request. Which, by the way, seem to be not so secure, as IA existed before DNSSEC (which is not even fully implemented yet, worldwide).
0 Kudos
KPfeiffer
Level 2

I've the same problem (after i start IA2010, it shows the evaluation copy, althoug i've a valid regsitartion, when i try to register again, IA2010 doesn't could connect, so i try "save to file..", but when i start it agian: evaluation copy...).

Support couln't really help until now.

Is you're problem already solved ?
0 Kudos
tfromm1
Level 7

Due to vlads DNS comment, I changed the DNS server to googles DNS server and now the problems are gone.
0 Kudos