cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khayati
Level 5

Logs

How to include your own logging statements in Installation log file ?
I am not able to print my sysouts in my installation log. How can I include them in my installation log file.
Can somebody tell me how should I change the path of Installer Debug outputs.Currently they are being made in /tmp folder.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Perhaps search the documentation for examples using the CustomError class.
0 Kudos
khayati
Level 5

Yeh I did but tht only outputs the error or exception messages .What i want it to output my log statements in the log file.I also tried using Java logging but tht to didn't work:( .Can any body guide me for the same?
0 Kudos
dnguyen
Level 3

khayati wrote:
Yeh I did but tht only outputs the error or exception messages .What i want it to output my log statements in the log file.I also tried using Java logging but tht to didn't work:( .Can any body guide me for the same?

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am having exactly the same problem with log in IA 2008 VP1

1) I've been using ISMP 4.5 and 11.5 for a few years now and recently switched to IA 2008 VP1. I can call logEvent anywhere in ISMP to log messages, errors, etc. How do I do the same in IA 2008 ?

2) I've tried to use my own java logger but I don't see any of my messages in the log file.
0 Kudos
khayati
Level 5

well i guess we are sailing in the same boat.I too have been using ISMP 5.5 since so many yrs.Its recently tht i too have shifted to OA 2008 VP1.and its API's aren't mature like ISMP's and this have been facing many issues.
Hope we get some information regarding this problem.
Are you able to find any work arnd for the same? Or how r u using logging now?
Can you tell me where is this Logger class in IA API's
0 Kudos
interpaul
Level 3

I have no problem logging messages like this (where proxy is the InstallerProxy, CustomCodePanelProxy, etc...):

CustomError error = (CustomError)proxy.getService(CustomError.class);
error.setLogDescription("Logging Test");

error.appendMessage("This is a test message");
error.appendError("This is a test error", CustomError.ERROR);
error.log();

To get formatting right, I often append System.getProperty("line.separator") to the appendMessage statements. error.log() adds spaces for you, but usually in multiples and is hard to control without commit the messages to the log at exactly the right time.
0 Kudos
dnguyen
Level 3

khayati
I also just found out IA keeps all the log in memory and only writes to a file when install completes. This logging behavior is not acceptable for me because if my install fails in the middle, then i won't get any log.

I am writing my own java logger using Logger, LogManager, FileHandler and Formatter. My logger writes to a file during install and it's almost working .
0 Kudos
khayati
Level 5

HI

Thanks for the reply.Yeh i m aware of the installation logf tht IA creates and after comp installation but its hardly useful.I also tried Java logging the way u did but alas with no success.Can you tell me if thr is/are any settings required to create the log file.Can i add my own logs into the installatrion log file created by IA?
0 Kudos
SURERECRUIT
Level 2

Installanywhere position in london - anyone looking for work?
0 Kudos