cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lou_Elston
Level 6

Learning InstallAnywhere

I am a Windows InstallShield developer. I have no experience with Java, Linux, etc., is there any point in my trying to learn Install Anywhere without that experience (to become more marketable), if so...where to start? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
buogr01
Level 4

In my experience, you need to learn some basic java. I've written a number of installers in IA however I usually find there are one or more CustomCodeActions or CustomCodePanels I have to end up writing. This is not advanced Java for the most part, but I think basic Java knowledge is a huge advantage when working with IA.
0 Kudos
Lou_Elston
Level 6

All my experience is Windows, what would I need to know about other operations systems, and which ones (for testing the install, etc)?
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Lou Elston wrote:
All my experience is Windows, what would I need to know about other operations systems, and which ones (for testing the install, etc)?

At least if you have some scripting on windows, you will probably need to re-do them on linux

e.g. you should be able to 'translate' your batch and/or .vbs and/or .js scripts to linux shell scripts.

--Jerome
0 Kudos
Lou_Elston
Level 6

I only know the windows OS, what is the minimum knowledge that I should have of another OS, and is there one in particular that I should know? thanks.
0 Kudos
ranga_tumati
Level 4

The basic knowledge on Linux OS should be a good point to start with IA. If you wish to develop multi-platform installers, you should have basic knowledge of Shell Scripting and Linux commands.
0 Kudos