cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newUserr
Level 3

Installation hanging when mounted NFS point is down

Hi,

I trying installing on a linux machine and have a mounted a NFS point but during the course of installation if that mounted machine is brought down, my installation hangs and it is not able to proceed any further.

Though my installer is not on that mount point nor is using that NFS mount location anywhere. The last line of log that I see is :

PRESS TO INSTALL: ConsoleAAManager wants to replay variable check for: class com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallConsoleAction

I have no clew as to what went wrong.:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

It is widely known that failing NFS mount points might hang software that runs on the server which mounts the NFS shares.
0 Kudos
newUserr
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
It is widely known that failing NFS mount points might hang software that runs on the server which mounts the NFS shares.

Vlad,

I couldn't understand your point.

I had mentioned that the location from where i am installing is not on the NFS mount and NFS mount location is also not used in any way during installation process(no file or folder getting read), I hope that i now had made myself clear. Do you still want to say that the installation would fail ?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Ok I understood that. But do you know what other locations IA might use? For instance, it starts by decompressing itself in /tmp (obviously, it's a very bad idea to have an NFS mounted /tmp, I don't think it's your case) but if it doesn't have enough space in /tmp it uses temporary space in your /home directory, so is it your home NFS mounted?
0 Kudos
newUserr
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
Ok I understood that. But do you know what other locations IA might use? For instance, it starts by decompressing itself in /tmp (obviously, it's a very bad idea to have an NFS mounted /tmp, I don't think it's your case) but if it doesn't have enough space in /tmp it uses temporary space in your /home directory, so is it your home NFS mounted?

Thanks for your reply. Let me rephrase the whole thing a little bit more exhaustively.

There is a linux machine with IP 164.50.88.80 on which we are running the installer. There we have few NFS mounts using the following command:

Installer running ip is: 164.50.88.80
mount 164.50.88.13:/testnf /testing_nfs

After i used mount command,the following info is printed on the screen.

164.50.88.90:/lab on /mnt type nfs (rw,addr=164.50.88.90)
164.50.88.13:/testnfs on /testing_nfs type nfs (rw,addr=164.50.88.13)

Here space does't looks to be a problem.

From the logs I can see this following line as the last debug message before hanging

This is happening just after pressing the install button,

Connected System Server
Install location: /opt/XXX/yyyyl
Remote Loader Service
Linux/UNIX Bidirectional Driver
Linux/UNIX Settings Driver
SOAP Driver
KEY: ReadyToInstallActionConsole.prompt VALUE: PRESS TO INSTALL

"The isntallAnywhere is calling one of class called "ConsoleAAManager wants to replay variable check for: class com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.CheckDiskSpaceConsole".

This CheckDiskSpaceConsole class seems to be a problem to me. I verified that my custom code is not calling this method explicitly.

It looks to me that there is no way that I can make sure that com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.CheckDiskSpaceConsole class is not getting executed. Let me know if that can be handled via programming or by making any changes to the installAnywhere

- Pradeep
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

0 Kudos