cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barryklecka
Level 3

Install Anywhere Issue with plugins on Windows 2008

Hopefully someone here can help me figure this issue out.

I am using the JTDS-1.2.2 JDBC driver in an IA plugin to connect to SQL Server. The plugin works fine on XP, Vista and Windows 2003 and is something I've used in my installers for a good 9 months now. However when the plugin is run from an installer on Windows 2008 64 bit (R2) I get a very odd error.

Network error IOException: Protocol wrong type for socket: create
at com.infor.scm.installer.db.DBUtilDBType.access1.run(DashoA10*..)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Protocol wrong type for socket: create
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.(ConnectionJDBC2.java:385)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3.(ConnectionJDBC3.java:50)

This error only occurs when the installer is run on Windows 2008 R2 64 bit. If I take the same code in the plugin and just run it as a java app it runs fine and does the DB access as it should.

I pulled the JTDS JDBC driver apart and tracked down the error to a simple opening of a socket. I tested a plugin that just opens a socket and it fails inside of install anywhere but runs fine outside of install anywhere.

This is the final test code I narrowed the issue down to. The error line is in bold.

Socket socket = new Socket();
InetSocketAddress address = new InetSocketAddress("localhost",1433);
socket.connect(address, 2000);
socket.close();
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Frenchy
Level 5

Hi, I was wondering if you got this issue resolved? I am having the same issue. It works on a 32-bit machine, but not for a 64 bit machine with 64-bit SQL server.
0 Kudos
jijujacob27
Level 6

Hi,

Is this plugin/custom code running in the install/ uninstall phases ?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Frenchy
Level 5

Hi, yes, it is running during the install phase
0 Kudos
reachlin
Level 3

We found the similar problem on 2008 64bit when using httpconnection.
0 Kudos