Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sudhichadaga
Level 3

How to make user Input (text) mandatory

Hi,

How to make user Input mandatory,
i.e. The User HAS to enter text (any text) in the input box to proceed to next step. (to make the field mandatory)

please advice,
thanks
Sudhi
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

I don't think you can do it right on the panel, but only with a little trick. The user input normally you store it in a variable right? Well right after the panel you compare the variable to the $NULL$ variable and set another variable, say $GO_BACK$ to true based to this test. You will only have to use a Display Message, if $GO_BACK$ is true, which says "you need to input something in order to continue" and with an OK button, which when click will go back to previous panel. Et voilà! 🙂
0 Kudos
ChandanOmkar
Level 8

There are two methods to achieve this with the help of InstallScript:

1. Make the Next button disable and enable it only when user enters some text in the text box.

2. Put a message box if the user clicks next button without entering any text in the text box, and the focus should be on the same dialog after clicking the message box.
0 Kudos
sudhichadaga
Level 3

thanks a lot..
Setting $NULL$ variable did the trick, now the user cannot proceed with out providing text.

thanks
Sudhi
0 Kudos
hemant
Level 2

sudhichadaga wrote:
thanks a lot..
Setting $NULL$ variable did the trick, now the user cannot proceed with out providing text.

thanks
Sudhi

Could you please elaborate "Setting $NULL$ variable"?

I need this in my installer.

Thanks,
Hemant
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

In IA you've got the built in action Set Install Anywhere variable - Single Variable and you just set your variable to the $NULL$ value.
0 Kudos