cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MonroeJ
Level 3

How to create MSI package?

I'm using InstallAnywhere 8.0 Enterprise, and have an installer built for our application for Windows, Linux, and Mac. All is fine there, but now I have a request to build an MSI package for this application also. Is there a way I can do this with IA 8.0, and without creating a completely different installer?

I've searched the IA help, and nothing comes up for "MSI". I googled and got this for release notes on IA 7 "This enables InstallAnywhere the ability to generate Windows Installer (MSI) packages. The MSI Build option is available in InstallAnywhere Enterprise Edition only."

I don't see this "MSI Build option" in my IA 8.0 Enterprise. Where should I see this?

Thanks for any reply.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

The complete text in the IA 7 RN is:

"What's New in InstallAnywhere 7
by Zero G Software, Inc., a Macrovision Company
May 16th, 2005

Windows Installer (MSI) build option

Windows Installer (MSI) Build Option
InstallAnywhere 7 introduces integration with InstallAnywhere.NET. This enables InstallAnywhere the ability to generate Windows Installer (MSI) packages. Developers can also now export their InstallAnywhere project as an InstallAnwyhere.NET project. The MSI Build option is available in InstallAnywhere Enterprise Edition only."

This might have been true at the time, when InstallAnywhere was developped by ZeroG, and they also developped the IA.NET (an InstallShield competitor). However, right after ZeroG was acquired by Macrovision, the IA.NET was discontinued (as the InstallShield Multplatform was discontinued in favour of IA) (it didn't make any sense for Macrovision to support duplicated product lines). So it might be possible for this option to have been available in this single IA version...
0 Kudos
MonroeJ
Level 3

So I'm assuming you can't create an MSI installer with InstallAnywhere versions greater than 7?

And you now need InstallShield to create MSI installers?

Is this correct?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

I think so, yes, but you might as well check the release notes for newer versions, or ask directly the Acresso Software support.
0 Kudos