cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seemeena
Level 3

How to add files in installer after it has been created?

Are there any ways to add files in the install step for existing IA after it has been created.

Is there any documented APIs or file list formats I can use?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Patch an existing installer?!? Be aware of the fact that all resources are packed in a Resource1.zip file, checksummed, so even if you were able to add files, you would need to rechecksum the aforementioned fail, otherwise your patched installer would refuse to run, detecting modifications. AFAIK there is no API at all for modifying an existing installer. The only two things you could do are either to rebuild the installer or to have it inserted in a wrapping installer that would install the first installer in silent mode, and then the wrapping installer would add the missing files.
0 Kudos
seemeena
Level 3

How do I create patch installer and when I have to run it?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

seemeena wrote:
How do I create patch installer and when I have to run it?

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I didn't understand your question...
0 Kudos
seemeena
Level 3

I want to add files in the install step of the existing installer. I don't want to run a patch that add files. Can I update existing install.exe i.e adding files to copy in the install step.

When I am creating the installer I dont know which files to copy, when user selects the package in the installer then I have to copy the files from that package. Thus after creating the installer I have to add files in it to copy.

Please help
0 Kudos
Ranjit_Kumar
Level 6

If you are not interested to do patch.

then create major upgrade add files and then install.

This will uninstall the older version and then installs the newer version.

So the old files and also the new files which u want to add will be installed in the system.

Else you can choose transform.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

seemeena wrote:
I want to add files in the install step of the existing installer. I don't want to run a patch that add files. Can I update existing install.exe i.e adding files to copy in the install step.

When I am creating the installer I dont know which files to copy, when user selects the package in the installer then I have to copy the files from that package. Thus after creating the installer I have to add files in it to copy.

Please help

I'm afraid that the proper way to do is to bundle all possible choices for the end-user and depending on what they've chosen in the Pre-Install you install only the necessary files OR you can do as many setups as necessary if the whole bundle is too big.
0 Kudos