Level 3

Help with creating Linux products and patches

Product: InstallAnywhere
Version: 2011 Enterprise
Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit
Java Version: SunJRE170_03Linux32 (VM)
Database:

Short Description of the problem:
To create a Linux patch with rollback option during uninstallation.

Detail Problem:
The requirement is to create Linux product installer and patches (includes support for Ubuntu OS as well).
The current understanding of IA is that, patches are created as an upgrade installation and on uninstallation of patches the whole product will be uninstalled.

Following are the requirements in Linux/Ubuntu environment,
1. Create a patch for Linux installer (created using IA) which will deploy files and perform custom actions and on uninstallation of the patch should revert the deployed files (meaning replace original file from installer) and patch related custom action.
2. Create a patch which verifies if previous patch is installed or not and then apply the current patch.
3. How to set the setting while creating a patch such that if a previous patch exists then do not install the current patch.
4. Create packages such that few file will be deployed only when the OS is Ubuntu 32/64 bit.

Also I tried to create patches using the following How To link, but I am not able to install the patch since the $USER_INSTALL_DIR$ returns null. My assumption is that the “Set InstallAnywhere Variable – Single Variable” sets $USER_INSTALL_DIR$ to null.
http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalID=Q112993”.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Masudkhan
Level 5

Find my answers for your questions as below.

1) Unfortunately the example link that you are referring to does not support the rollback feature that you are looking for. One work around i can think of is... in the patch post uninstaller, you may silently install the original installer.
(Be careful becoz you many loose existing data)

2. The example shows you how to achieve this.

3. Again the example shows you how to achieve this.

4. In the patch installer while copying the files just put a rule for checking the OS type.

(Also I tried to create patches using the following How To link, but I am not able to install the patch since the $USER_INSTALL_DIR$ returns null. My assumption is that the “Set InstallAnywhere Variable – Single Variable” sets $USER_INSTALL_DIR$ to null.
http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfse...nalID=Q112993”.)
You are not supplying the correct component UID.
You may check the /var/.com.zerog.registry.xml file on the system where your original product is installed to find out the correct UID of the component.
0 Kudos
rpadmava
Level 3

Masudkhan wrote:

4. In the patch installer while copying the files just put a rule for checking the OS type.

(Also I tried to create patches using the following How To link, but I am not able to install the patch since the $USER_INSTALL_DIR$ returns null. My assumption is that the “Set InstallAnywhere Variable – Single Variable” sets $USER_INSTALL_DIR$ to null.
You may check the /var/.com.zerog.registry.xml file on the system where your original product is installed to find out the correct UID of the component.

Hi,

I checked the 4) issue, in the file /var/.com.zerog.registry.xml file I can see that I have given the right component id. It returns the count and version value correctly in "Find Component Registry" action, just that location is returned as NULL even though the entry is there in /var/.com.zerog.registry.xml.

And I am using IA 2012 EE.
0 Kudos
rpadmava
Level 3

Masudkhan wrote:

i checked the file /var/.com.zerog.registry.xml location entries are there for the mentioned component UID, it returns corrent count and version for $REG_COMPONENT_COUNT$ and $REG_COMPONENT_VERSIONS$ respectively. However the $REG_COMPONENT_LOCATIONS$ always returns NULL even though the location entry is available in /var/.com.zerog.registry.xml
0 Kudos