cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcoder
Level 2

Exploratory IA questions.

Hello. My company recently purchased a license for InstallAnywhere 2012 (IA). They have choosen me to integrate our software with this installer.

No one at my company knows how to use this software, so I've come here for help. I've played around with the software a little bit.

1. I'm wondering if our software is appropriate for IA? Our software is a C++ application that controls a medical scanner. (So, I'm wondering why IA wizard keeps asking me for Java main classes.)

Here's what I want to install (I do a tar -tvzf):

AppDir/bin ; contains executables
AppDir/resource ; contains configuration files for executables
AppDir/log ; output of logs.
AppDir/libs ; libraries needed by executable.

The structure above is from tar created in a build. Medical scanners run red hat linux. And to install, we currently untar the tarball in a created AppUser directory. All libraries (except for standard runtime and os libraries) are left in the OurApp/libs.

Once untarred, the configuration files will need to be tailored. We currently modify configuration files by hand.

2. Can I use IA to gather configuration data from the user and save it by modifying installed configuration files? So our configuration files mostly look like
key=value pairs on separate lines with pound defined comments. Several files may need to be modified and so, several 'UI-panes' to add data may be desired.

Also, subsequent upgrades to a previous installation need to handle merging preexisting but modified installation files with newer versions of the installation files. Does InstallAnywhere have tools to handle this?

3. Instead of having the user enter configuration numbers. We may later want to run calibration programs to find some of these variables out. So, we may want to run an xray collimator to get collimation data. We will want the user to press a button to launch the program. But we may still want the user to enter by hand additional configuration data. Can IA handle this future demand?

thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

IA is basically Java-based and Java-oriented, so this might not be appropriate for your software.
0 Kudos
scarney
Level 5

Hello,

We also use RedHat Enterprise Linux. The best thing to do is to have your build system generate rpms from the software instead of tarballs. IA has built-in hooks for deploying rpms( Redhat Package Manager ). You can always install the tarball somewhere, write a custom code action to unpack it and deploy the software but you get all of that for free with rpm. You just tell IA to deploy the rpms. You get an audit trail and packages are query'able via the rpm -q option.

Post a reply if you want more details.

--
Regards,
Sandra Carney
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Also, there are IA training classes, you should check that (and an older IA book, which while it's a little obsolete, but can give you the IA basics if you can find it used on amazon for instance, for a fraction of the price of training).
0 Kudos