cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Error while deploying project on Linux machine

Hi All,

I created a project using project automation API and built it on Windows 2008 server using InstallAnywhere 2010. I was able to get the output file (.bin) successfully but when I tried deploying it on Linux machine I got below error on terminal. Please find the attached stack trace.

The installer runs in silent mode. Can anyone guide me what can be the reason for such behavior. Please respond.

Regards
Rudgr8.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Well, there are several possible causes to your issues, but in order to find the root cause some answers are needed:
1. What exactly do you mean creating the project by using automation API?
2. On what Linux distribution does this happen? Does this happen on a single Linux distribution or on more than one?
3. Do you bundle any VM? If yes, what's its version? If not, what VM version was the installer run against?
4. Does the installer work in other installation modes besides silent mode (i.e. GUI or console)?
0 Kudos
jijujacob27
Level 6

Hi rudgr8 & pp7721,

Automation API is a programming interface that one can use to create projects on InstallAnywhere instead of using the Advanced Designer.

We have taken a note of this issue for IA 2010 and we will verify this issue and will hopefully provide the fix to you as part of the service pack for IA 2010.

Thanks,
Jiju
0 Kudos
jijujacob27
Level 6

Hi rudgr8,

We investigated the exception and we found that there is a very strong possibility that during the process, you may have deleted the resource bundle or portions of the resource bundle by accident. Hence a particular key became null and threw a null pointer exception.

Thanks,
Jiju
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Jiju,

Thanks for your response. I did not bundle any VM with the installer project. The Linux machine I am getting error on, was working fine with IA2009.I did not touch any java stuff on this machine.

Can you please explain me a little about resource bundle? Like where I can locate it, to see if it is missing.Pardon me for such question :confused: I am new to java and installanywhere!!.

I am attaching the verbose log files with IA2009 and IA2010. May be they can help you in determining something.

Thanks and Regards
Ruchi.
0 Kudos
jijujacob27
Level 6

Hi rudgr8,

I went through the stack trace and looks like the resource bundle has indeed been misplaced. (multiple messages in the stack trace)

The resource bundle is used for localization of the installer. The files are of type custom_xx where xx is the locale code. For example custom_en, custom_ja, etc.

if you create a new project using IA 2010, it will create the resource bundles along with the same. now modifying it using project automation may be the suspect. Can you please check if the resource bundles are still present?

Note: Project automation in IA 2010 has a few known issues and i would request you to wait for the service pack.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi jiju,

You are right.I just checked and could not locate custom_xx file. When I was using InstallAnywhere 2009 a custom_en file used to get created in locales folder but with IA2010 its missing.

Any idea when service pack would be available in market since we are aiming to switch to IA2010 by the end of this month ?

I would need to convince people here that there is issue with Automation otherwise they will keep bugging me:eek:
I am very greatful to you for quick response.

Regards
Ruchi.
0 Kudos
jijujacob27
Level 6

Ruchi,
The custom_xx file would be created properly if you try the advanced designer. The problem only exists with automation API. The product management is the one that decides the release dates for the service packs. In any case, i am expecting it within next 3-4 months.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Jiju,

I am back again :). Today I installed the HotFix A for InstallAnywhere 2010 as mentioned in Chirag's post.
I created a fresh template in IA2010 after installing this patch. Then I employed my automation code to generate a project file. The project file got created but I got an error in the log file and bin file was not created.

Please find attached the project file and log file for your reference. MS1Packager_afterPatch.iap_xml is project file and MS1Packager_afterPatch.txt is log file. Please guide me what can be the issue. Thanks !!

Regards
Ruchi.
0 Kudos
jijujacob27
Level 6

Hi Ruchi,

The Project Automation in IA 2010 even with hotfix A has some breakages which has been fixed and should be available with the service pack. This is just one of them.

For now, till the service pack is out, I would request you to either wait, or try to use the Project Automation as less as possible.

Thanks,
0 Kudos