cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerome_IA
Level 9

Error finding VM pack in InstallAnywhere 2010

Hello,

I recently upgraded from InstallAnywhere 2009 SP2 to InstallAnywhere 2010.
I am building on a linux computer and use my own VM pack.

Since this upgrade, I noticed that the used jre was not the right one. I configured it to use SunJRE160_18_JCE6_Win32.vm but it reported the following error:

[buildinstaller] Finished assembling installer components
[buildinstaller] Adding other errors: Error finding Win32 VM pack. "true" Build using SunJRE160_16_JCE6_Win32.vm (Sun JRE 1.6.0_16 JCE6 Win32).

The one used is the first available from InstallAnywhere_2010_Enterprise/resource/installer_vms, so I deleted all but kept the one I wanted to use in order to workaround the problem.

For those building on linux, can you check installer traces to verify you do not have same error ? or do you have any idea that can help me fixing this ?

Regards

Jerome

PS: error can be found in buildlog.xml

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

It's a special JVM that contains JCE, isn't it? Maybe this is the issue?
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

I always package with JRE JCE and I am using the same JRE vm for building with InstallAnywhere 2009 SP2.

Also, I kept only one windows vm from InstallAnywhere_2010_Enterprise/resource/installer_vms, so now it builds with the correct one, but my concern is more to understand the error "Error finding Win32 VM pack".

This error means that there is something corrupted in my build configuration, so it cannot find the configured windows vm, so it took one from resource/installer_vms which is exactly the same at the same location !

Are you building on linux too ? (I compared the installer xml between IA2009 & 2010 and those are almost identical, only new rollback disabled tags appearing)

Regards
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

No, I'm building on Windows. So you're building on Linux a Windows installer? Does the installer build anyway (and the VM is correctly bundled)?
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Yes, I am building both linux & windows installers on a linux computer, I guess you are building linux (or other not windows) installer on your windows otherwise you will not use installanywhere ;-).

The vm is correctly bundled (I use the exact same than with IA 2009 SP2), as the installer used it. I guess there is something wrong in the PATH to the VM, most likely a bug in InstallAnywhere 2010 .... I will probably open a new incident for this.

I will try to build a smaller fake project to check if there is the same issue ... I was looking for someone building on linux to check if he had the same error ....

I tried to build my project on windows and it succeeds to find the correct VM ...

Thanks for your help anyway.

Jerome
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

jerome_IA wrote:
Yes, I am building both linux & windows installers on a linux computer, I guess you are building linux (or other not windows) installer on your windows otherwise you will not use installanywhere ;-).

The vm is correctly bundled (I use the exact same than with IA 2009 SP2), as the installer used it. I guess there is something wrong in the PATH to the VM, most likely a bug in InstallAnywhere 2010 .... I will probably open a new incident for this.

I will try to build a smaller fake project to check if there is the same issue ... I was looking for someone building on linux to check if he had the same error ....

I tried to build my project on windows and it succeeds to find the correct VM ...

Thanks for your help anyway.

Jerome

Yes, you're correct in your assumption about my case 🙂
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

I finally found that the reason might be IA 2010 bug when build is done via command line using properties file (option "-p file.properties").

I seems to fail finding Win32 VM.
I tried with new template (provided in IA_INSTALL_DIR/resource/build)
I tried with other VM provided by InstallAnywhere
I tried command line build on windows

It always failed! So I opened an incident to support.

Does anyone use command line build with "-p" option and does or does not have the problem ? (it might not been detected if you don't read build traces)

--Jerome
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

For the person that has sent me an email mentioning this thread, please not that I'm not available for private support by mail. So please post your issue here (but only if it's the exact same issue, otherwise please open a new thread instead).
0 Kudos
anujain
Level 3

Jeremy did you hear back from Flexera regarding this?

We have recently updated from IA2008VP1 to IA2010 and are facing the same problem as mentioned on this thread. I am using a properties file to pass in the property:

com.zerog.ia.build.vmpack.windows.path=SunJRE160_18iWin32.vm

================ERROR===========
Preparing to build......
Adding other errors: Error finding Win32 VM pack. "true" Build using SunJRE160_18iWin32.vm (Sun JRE 1.6.0_18 i18n Win32).
==================================

IA2010 Version: Version: 11.0 Build: 3890 (Designer/Runtime: Indy)
0 Kudos
anujain
Level 3

It seems to pick up the first VM it finds:

Even thought the property is set to:
com.zerog.ia.build.vmpack.windows.path=SunJRE160_18iWin32.vm

If SunJRE160_07iWin32.vm is available in /resource/installer_vms it picks it up.

================ERROR======================
Adding other errors: Error finding Win32 VM pack. "true" Build using SunJRE160_07iWin32.vm (Sun JRE 1.6.0_07 i18n Win32).
================ERROR======================
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

As I said, your issue might not be identical to the issue of the initial poster, but it is true it is similar, the difference being that he had the issue on Linux and you have it on Windows.
0 Kudos
anujain
Level 3

I wonder Flexera got back to Jeremy. I have created a incident already.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Maybe you could also try to directly contact him: just click on his name, you've got the option to private message him.
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

anujain,

I worked around the issue simply by removing the VM from properties file. Instead I set it in the build configuration panel from the graphical interface but I am not sure this will fit your needs.

like you mention, it is also possible to keep only one vm (e.g. SunJRE160_18iWin32.vm) into /resource/installer_vms and this will be the one selected.

As often, I didn't get any feedback from flexera regarding an availability for a fix will, they point me to a IOA-000...something which cannot be retrieved from Knowledge base.

Good luck

Jerome
0 Kudos