Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rb2399
Level 2

Dependency on a Product installed on another machine

Hi,
Here's our scenario.
We have a product A installed on machine A using IA.
Now I want to install product B on machine B.But before I do that,I need to check if product A has been installed (with version check etc) on machine A or not.
Any idea how do I go about getting this done ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MSIYER
Level 8

It would be a nightmare at best. And I do not understand why you need to perform such a check. Give more details if possible.

WMI
Remote Registry
etc... come to my mind. These need to be enabled on remote PC.

But all this needs a mutual understanding between machines and OSs on them. Also, opening up of such channels of communication would be a security challenge as well.
0 Kudos
rb2399
Level 2

Well,
ours is a suite of products.And all of these products can be installed on different boxes.These products depend on a core/base product that can be deployed on machine of your choice.
So if I have installed core on machine A and now I want to install product XYZ on machine B,I just need to make sure that the core/base has been installed somewhere before proceeding further!
I guess using IA one can check for dependencies within the same installer or on the same box.But can IA do a remote registry check to see if a particular component has been installed or not ?
0 Kudos
glogic
Level 3

We have a custom action which makes a http request to the other machine, and given a valid reply assumes that the other machine has a valid install. How do your products communicate with one another? If you could simulate a normal handshake, you can figure out if product A is installed or not
0 Kudos