cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mark_in_gr
Level 3

Custom Code Action in Linux Client

I am attempting to migrate an install from Win32 to Linux(Fedora Core 6). The install is set up for a Windows target only w/a VM version of 1.6.0_00. On the Windows version of InstallAnywhere Enterprise 8.0, the script builds fine. However, on the Linux version, I get the following error when attempting to build:
Build Failure: Bad version number in .class file(java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError)

I have narrowed the problem down to a Custom Code Action I have added to the build. If I remove this action, it builds on Linux. If I leave it in, I get the error above. I have tried a number of things, including using the version of IAClasses.zip from the Linux installed version as the dependency for my Custom Code Class.

Has anyone been able to get a Custom Code Action to work within a Linux build?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

If I'm not mistaken this issue is most likely caused by a Java version mismatch (i.e. you're compiling the Custome Code with a newer Java version (like 1.6) but then when you're trying to execute it you use an older Java version (you bundle an older VM).
0 Kudos
mark_in_gr
Level 3

I solved the problem. Apparently in InstallAnywhere 2008, Custom Code Actions will not execute(at least I couldn't get them to) when compiled from JDK 1.6. My solution was to change the target value in my Maven pom file from 1.6 to 1.5, and this solved the problem.

I would consider this a bug, since 2008 should support JDK 1.6 from it's installer. This should not matter which version of the JRE I am bundling w/the install(it was 1.6.0_00, anyway).
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Glad to hear that you had your issue solved. From what you say, it seems that IA 2008 was once more a hasty release (heck, we're not even in 2008 yet!): indeed, their Beta program started beautifully, with like 3 pages in the respective forum with issues, and after a while, all beta activity simply ceased, and boom! the IA 2008 has been released. And when you look at the list of known issues here: http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q113580 what is the first issue you see, for instance:
IOC-000064168 On Windows XP AMD 64-bit machine, the check platform rule fails. No workaround is available at this time.
So what is this supposed to mean? Where is the x64 support if it won't work on AMD 64 (just imagine the park of deployed CPUs out there (it is true though that WinXP X64 might not be so deployed, but...))
And now you mention this potentially major bug!...
Heck, when they've released IA 2008, it took a while until they've added it to the list of products in their support tool, whereas the version 1.6 of Java isn't even present yet!
0 Kudos