cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walking_vart
Level 3

Check if this is Upgrade

How do I know that some version of my product is already installed and ask user if he wants to upgrade or uninstall?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

There are several ways to do it, but I guess the simplest way would be for the installer to write a registry key at the end of the installation and at the beginning of the installation it would check for the presence of the key.
0 Kudos
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

What if installing on non Windows OS?

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
walking_vart
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
There are several ways to do it, but I guess the simplest way would be for the installer to write a registry key at the end of the installation and at the beginning of the installation it would check for the presence of the key.

Is this key removed automatically during uninstall or I have also clear it manually?

Is there no build in feature to determine upgrade?

Could the "Query InstallShield Universal Software Information"
be of some help here or I do not uderstand the purpose of this action completely?
0 Kudos
walking_vart
Level 3

Ok, here is the update to my problem

I'm using now the "Find Component in Registry" to determine that the component is installed
It populates the $REG_COMPONENT_LOCATIONS$ var with some path, for example

"C:\AM\AgentManager\AgentManager.exe"

The part "AgentManager\AgentManager.exe" is well known. I'd like to take the prefix "C:\AM" and use it as value for $USER_INSTALL_DIR$
To avoid showing Select destination Panel and copy updated files to the old location.

Could I do it without creating custom action?
0 Kudos
ridch01
Level 5

I ran into this problem on Windows. I used the registry to keep track of what is installed. It then checks to see if certain registry keys exist already.

I'll eventually need to support other OS's besides Windows. I'm not sure the best approach. I guess we will need to somehow register our software with the OS. On HP, I thought there was a tool called SAM. (It's been a while since I worked with Unix, so I'm scratching my head.)

I was somewhat surprised that IA did not really handle this for us.
0 Kudos
jackylv
Level 4

I am surprised too, I wonder why IA cannot work this out like IS, which can handle this by updating the minor version number.

I can see there is product version field in IA, if it is not used for this purpose, what is it used for?

ridch01 wrote:
I ran into this problem on Windows. I used the registry to keep track of what is installed. It then checks to see if certain registry keys exist already.

I'll eventually need to support other OS's besides Windows. I'm not sure the best approach. I guess we will need to somehow register our software with the OS. On HP, I thought there was a tool called SAM. (It's been a while since I worked with Unix, so I'm scratching my head.)

I was somewhat surprised that IA did not really handle this for us.
0 Kudos
ramalaks
Level 6

how to compare the versions?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

(Follow-up of sorts about version comparisons [post=411560]here[/post].)
0 Kudos