cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erikbrooks
Level 3

Can one installer run on Windows and also install SW onto Linux & other Windows PCs?

Our product uses clustered Linux servers and multiple Windows servers and also Windows client PCs.

Currently, we have separate installers for each separate computers. Users enter configuration data into edit files or into the installer UI during the installs. Key data includes the addresses of the other computers that this current computer must communicate with. Then the installers use that info to update local config files during the install.

This is somewhat error prone. It's too easy to enter a valid address of another computer - but not the computer needed for that specific entry.

Ideally, we'd like one single edit file that contains a list of the computers - their roles and addresses. Then let the installer (which I expect would run on one of the Windows boxes) configure all the various files, and then download a silent installer onto the Linux and Windows machines and run them from there, and get back meaningful text about the success/failure of that install.

Is this doable? Our organization is fairly new to InstallAnywhere, and this forum. A quick forum search hasn't turned up anything like this, but a colleague here believes that he's seen info in an InstallAnywhere manual that says this is doable - but he can't find it again either.

This would be very helpful if possible, and the answer to this question has a major influence on our current project to improve the installation experience.

Thanks for all inputs!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
pv7721
Level 20

Well assuming that from that Windows box you'll have access to all the necessary remote machines... and how would you have access to those (SSH / SCP, etc.) you may imagine such a scenario... but then I guess that error checking and control will be quite impossible (I mean you launch something in remote... and you get an error... so you need to get back the installation log... and parse it and try to find the error then inform the end user...
0 Kudos