cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgouri
Level 3

Bundle multiple VMs and then give user to select one of those vms

Environment : Windows XP and Windows 2008 server.

My installer has a vm pack bundled. For now I bundled 32 bit vm so that I will be able to install the application both on 32 bit and 64 bit.

My requirement is to install the application
1. with a 32 bit vm when I install on a 32 bit machine and
2. with a 64 bit vm when I install on a 64 bit machine.

Can I do this with only one installer ?

I tried the following things :

I have added the action, Panel:Choose Java VM at Advanced Designer --> Pre Install. But this action is trying to choose VM installed on the system but not the bundled VMs.

Now my question is how do I create an installer with two VMs (32 bit and 64 bit) and ask the user to select the VM of his choice while installing the application ?

Thanks in advance 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

It might be possible to do it with a single project, but I'm afraid this might be a little complicated: also, based on your requirement, I would say you don't need the end user choice. I would bundled the 32 bit version, which will be used in order to launch the installer (and this way the installer will always launch itself, no matter what the target platform is) and on 64 bit platform you'll choose to replace the installer's jvm with the 64 bit jvm you'll also bundle (but not as a VM pack). The drawback of this is of course, that the installer is a little bigger, as it contains both 32 and 64 bit JVMs (and 64 bit is not needed on the 32 bit platform).
0 Kudos
cgouri
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
It might be possible to do it with a single project, but I'm afraid this might be a little complicated: also, based on your requirement, I would say you don't need the end user choice. I would bundled the 32 bit version, which will be used in order to launch the installer (and this way the installer will always launch itself, no matter what the target platform is) and on 64 bit platform you'll choose to replace the installer's jvm with the 64 bit jvm you'll also bundle (but not as a VM pack). The drawback of this is of course, that the installer is a little bigger, as it contains both 32 and 64 bit JVMs (and 64 bit is not needed on the 32 bit platform).

I couldnot get the highlighted comments in purple. How do I bundle the 64bit VM not as a VM pack and choose to replace the installer's JVM ?. Can you elaborate more on this.
Also I dont have problem if the installer size is bigger.

Please let me know if you can provide any other solution.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

A vm pack is a special kind of .zip in .zip; when I say you should also bundle a 64 bit JVM but not as a VM pack: it should be a simple .zip file that you would unzip to a jre folder that would be used by the application. Does this make sense to you?
0 Kudos
cgouri
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

I will give a try.

-- Gouri.
0 Kudos