cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kent_in_philly
Level 3

Building on XP for Vista: Setting execution level?

I'm running InstallShield 2008 on Windows XP and need to make an installation that will run on Vista.

The basic installation works fine, but I need to run a batch file as part of my post-install steps that is failing on Vista. Trying the batch file manually, it only runs successfully on Vista if I right click on it and do "Run as administrator." It seems when it is called from InstallAnywhere it must be running at a lower level.

From the InstallAnywhere 2008 docs, it looks like there should be a setting under platforms to let me set the Vista execution level to administrator, but I don't see this option when I go to that screen.

Do I have to be running InstallAnywhere on Vista to see these options? Unfortunately switching to another machine is not a simple process (have to go through ISS to get license moved, etc.)

Any ideas on working around this? Some config file setting to get these options to show up? (Or some different thing to try in my batch file.)

(I cannot require the end user disable UAC for this install to work.)

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

In the Advanced Designer, have you checked the Project/Platforms/Windows settings? There you have a Vista specific option: Windows Vista Execution Level: As Invoker, Highest Available or Administrator!
0 Kudos
kent_in_philly
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
In the Advanced Designer, have you checked the Project/Platforms/Windows settings? There you have a Vista specific option: Windows Vista Execution Level: As Invoker, Highest Available or Administrator!

I don't see that option. Does that option only show up on Vista, or on a version of InstallAnywhere other than 2008 VP1 Standard?

I am running InstallAnywhere on XP, but my one of the target platforms I am supporting is Vista and the batch file must ran as Administrator.

I see that option described in the manual, but I am staring at the screen and it is not there. (Screenshot attached)
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

I think I know where your problem is: you've got the Standard version, while I have the Enterprise version... No idea though why they chose not to include this small feature in the Standard version (actually, personally I think that everything is there in the Standard version... but it is hidden!...)
0 Kudos
kent_in_philly
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
I think I know where your problem is: you've got the Standard version, while I have the Enterprise version... No idea though why they chose not to include this small feature in the Standard version (actually, personally I think that everything is there in the Standard version... but it is hidden!...)

Thanks for your quick responses. That would make sense, although I do see it mentioned in the help in the Standard Edition. :confused: I wonder if it is in a newer build than the one I have or if it requires moving up to the Enterprise.

Does anyone else running the Standard Edition have access to the Vista Execution level menu? According to the About screen, I am running Build 3571 InstallAnywhere 2008 VP1 Standard.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well, it's bizarre, I run IA 2008 VP 1 which is build 3532. So it looks like the Standard version is a stripped-down version? Anyway, no need to look further, they say it on their webpage: http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installanywhere/features.htm
Expand all features and look for UAC Support for Windows 7 and Vista Installations: it is available in the Enterprise edition but not in Standard (it is possible though that they don't strip help, which is what misled you).
0 Kudos
kent_in_philly
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
Well, it's bizarre, I run IA 2008 VP 1 which is build 3532. So it looks like the Standard version is a stripped-down version? Anyway, no need to look further, they say it on their webpage: http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installanywhere/features.htm
Expand all features and look for UAC Support for Windows 7 and Vista Installations: it is available in the Enterprise edition but not in Standard (it is possible though that they don't strip help, which is what misled you).

Thanks again for your quick response. It looks like they must not have updated the Help documentation accordingly.
0 Kudos