cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PassinThru
Level 3

Any way of getting the install log name?

The installer generates a logfile of the form _Install__
____.log. I would like to refer users to this log, with the understanding that this may be the Nth install they've done, and that there may be several log files present. Is there a way to obtain this generated name so I can use it in an informational message?

I'd like to say something like "There were some warnings in your installation. Please check the log in $INSTALL_DIR$$/$$GENERATED_INSTALL_LOG_NAME$." I know I can override the install log name, but having multiple logs that contain the timestamp of the install is useful, so I'd rather go with the generated name.

- Scott
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
usha_poli
Level 3

I want to write EXECUTE_STDERR and EXECUTE_STDOUT to the install log file while executing some scripts during install phase.
Is there any way to get the Install log file name during install and post-install actions.

$INSTALL_LOG_NAME$ is not returning any value during install and post-install actions.

- Usha.
0 Kudos
PassinThru
Level 3

Hi Usha -

I eventually wrote custom code to generate a log file name in the same form as the existing one based on the time of day. I then set $INSTALL_LOG_NAME$, which appears to be a variable that is only used to change the existing log file name, to that value. Not as convenient as having InstallAnywhere provide the name they are using, but I saw it as my only choice.

The issue of getting standard out and standard error into the log was one I addressed by using different variable names for standard out and error for each script I ran. Instead of $EXECUTE_STDOUT$, I substituted $ACTION1_STDOUT$. Then I could look at the results of any script I was interested in by checking the variables listed in either the normal log, or the installer debug logs created by the Output Debug Information action. I only use the standard variables when I'm not really interested in the output.

I hope this helps.

- Scott
0 Kudos
usha_poli
Level 3

Thank you very much for the reply Scott.

I have resolved my issue by creating and using a different log file to log all the Execute script actions errors along with that action's name.

- Usha.
0 Kudos