cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atulmaurya
Level 6

Adding external files

Hi,
I am recreating my projects which were developed in ISMP5.3, in my previous projects I was adding some files as "external resources". Now I have to do the same with IA 2011. In ISMP 5.3 we can define each file to be "archive or external resource" but in IA 2011 there is only one option "Add external resource bundle" which also is in project tab not for particular files.

Can anyone help me to find the solution to add the files as "external resource" in IA 2011 Enterprise edition.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Masudkhan
Level 5

IA 2011 has "Add files" option in "Install" tab.
This can be used to add files to the setup.
Do you have any issues using this option?
0 Kudos
atulmaurya
Level 6

No, I dont have any issue using this action. But this action adds files in archive what to do if I want to add the file as external.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

What exactly is an external resource in ISMP terms?
0 Kudos
atulmaurya
Level 6

in ISMP we can add files externally. So the files are treated as ther external files (not a part of the setup archive). We can zip these resources and extract on the target system so that the setup can use them. This reduces the size of the exe. But I am not finding the same settings in IA.

One more thing, in our setup there are alot of logs collected after the installation. So at the uninstallation time we have some folers\files to be removed and some to be retained after uninstallation. In ISMP the settings for removal of the file\folder were given for each file but IA provides these settings at project lavel. So, whatever setting we apply, is applied for all the files\folders. This is another thing causing problems for me.

Thanks and regards
Atl
0 Kudos
glogic
Level 3

... using the "Expand Archive" action?

It will allow you to choose an external zip, and what destination path to put it.
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Hi,

If you are building with ant, then you can create directory at the place of your choice and put your external files/folders right there.
Then to get those data while executing setup, you can reference to $INSTALLER_LAUNCH_DIR$ or $EXTRACTOR_DIR$ variable (check documentation) in your installer which will point to the folder where setup file is located.

Regarding your uninstall issue, installanywhere will only delete files & folders it created itself. If you want those files to be deleted at uninstall time, then you can put them to a folder created via installer with option "Recursively delete all content of this folder during uninstall".

--Jerome
0 Kudos