cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jchfeng
Level 4

A question about "Add Files"

When I click "Add Files" in "Install" task, A "Add Files to Project" window will apprear to select the files to be added. After selecting files or directories, a list or files will be added in "Visual Tree".

But that doesn't satisfy my request. What can I do if the location of files hasn't been decided when I start to add files? I mean the location will be dynamically decided when building the installer. In other words, the files to be added may be in a variable location ${Source_File_Root}. I hope Install Anywhere should know where to get all the files when building. But how can I use ${Source_File_Root} when "Add Files"? I don't want to just add files from some directories in local disk of my desktop.

Do I have to use custom action or custom code?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
kshirabdhi
Level 3

Hi,
you can use custom code to add files from variable location and execute this code using "Execute Custom Code" action which will add files dynamically. Other ways can use General IA actons "Copy Folder Action" or "Copy File Action" which will add files or folder while building the installer.
Thanks
0 Kudos
jchfeng
Level 4

kshirabdhi wrote:
Hi,
you can use custom code to add files from variable location and execute this code using "Execute Custom Code" action which will add files dynamically. Other ways can use General IA actons "Copy Folder Action" or "Copy File Action" which will add files or folder while building the installer.
Thanks

Thank you Kshirabdhi,

For "Execute Custom code"or "Copy Folder action", I think they will be executed when the installer is launching, and they will copy folders on target machine ( the installer is running on ). right?

My question is how to dynamically add or put source files from variable locations into the installer when building it.
0 Kudos