cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pauleagle7
Level 3

lc_flexinit failure when run app by IIS

I'm testing a FLEX-enabled client which is a web application using WCF.
Because I'm running the app as a web app, the code is actually run by the IIS worker thread process, w3wp.exe.
The lc_flexinit call is failing with a return code of 21.
Worker threads are run from an IIS application pool which are configured to run with a particular user identity. The default app pool identity is NetworkService. If I set the app pool identity to LocalSystem, the test client works; the lc_flexinit call succeeds.

However running the app pool with an identity of LocalSystem poses a security risk since it means all web applications run with an elevated privilege level.

If I run FLEX-enabled apps which are command-line or WinForm programs, I have no unexpected problems since I know ways to run those kind of programs as an administrator.

Does anyone know of a way to successfully run FLEX clients as a web app (thereby running from w3wp.exe) without setting the identity of the pool to LocalSystem?

I'm testing on Windows 7 with Publisher 11.10.0.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
pauleagle7
Level 3

I've found a solution.

I moved the code calling lc_flexinit into a new separate Windows Service, and run this Service under the LocalSystem account. This way I can leave the DefaultAppPool identity at its default value while only the new Service has to run as LocalSystem.
0 Kudos