cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonasstrusoft
Level 2

Support for Docker and Kubernetes

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to run Flexera Pusblisher Server in Docker and Kubernetes?

And if that is not possible, are there any plans to provide support for that in the future?

Regards,

Jonas

0 Kudos
(5) Replies
aparashar1
Flexera Alumni

I am afraid that based on past interactions the support for dockers/Kubernetes is neither available nor in any immediate plans.

(If my response assists with your questions , then please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" or 'Kudos' so that it help others.)
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answer.

A follow-up question. Is it possible to run Flexera on a VM (an instance) on Azure or any other cloud provider?

Regards,

Jonas

0 Kudos

Absolutely. There is a list of supported virtualization platforms available with each FNP toolkit release notes. For example in the latest FNP-11.16.4 release. the list is as:

Google cloud, Azure, Amazon EC2, VMware ESXi 6.5 and 6.7, Citrix XenServer 7.6 and 8.0, VMware Workstation 14.1.1, Oracle VirtualBox 5.2.18, PARALLELS, QEMU_KVM

(If my response assists with your questions , then please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" or 'Kudos' so that it help others.)
ANeubacher
Level 2

Seconded.

We distribute our software as Docker containers, and get pushback from customers when we tell them that the licensing infrastructure cannot be deployed in the same way.

As Flexera does not seem to have any plans for providing container support we are now looking for a more "cloud-native-friendly" licensing solution ...

0 Kudos
wmarek1
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi ANewbacher,

Have you hear about Flexera's REST-based licensing API? Also know as the Cloud Monetization API or CMAPI.

This API was designed for cloud to cloud license checking. It does not require the SDK libraries, you can call it from any language that can make a REST call. It makes for a super light weight client, but requires back end functionality (FlexNet Operations and Cloud Licensing Service) to support it.

It's a great solution for applications deployed in a docker container.

Take a look at the FlexNet Licensing datasheet here:

https://www.flexerasoftware.com/resources.html?type=datasheet

Then contact your account manager for more information.

BTW, there is currently no good solution  for nodelocking within a container. Everything is virtualized so there is nothing safe to bind to. I expect this to change in the future.

FlexNet Operations, FlexNet Embedded, FlexNet Publisher, FlexNet Connect, FlexLM
0 Kudos