cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eranhor
Level 3

Dynamic Locked Licensing

Hi all,
We are using Flexnet Publisher 11.5 and the Java API to handle our licenses.
We want to provide our customers the ability to define a number of locked licenses (based on MAC addresses), but without having to predefine the MAC addresses, i.e. create the locked licenses list dynamically by collecting MAC addresses as they come until the list is full.

Does Flexnet support this?

Thanks in advance,
Eran
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please see similar post [thread=180389]here[/thread].
0 Kudos
eranhor
Level 3

I know of that post, but I did not understand the answer.
This is the reason that I elaborated on my needs.
Can you please explain again if my requirement is possible?

Thanks,
Eran
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The answer partly depends on how you want to fulfill licenses: do you want your customer to have 100 individual node-locked licenses? Or a single license server that serves 100 licenses in the customer's organization?
0 Kudos
eranhor
Level 3

I am not sure on what the difference is between the two option you stated.
I think that a single license server that serves 100 licenses is the option that I need. For each license request I save the MAC address and once I reach 100 licenses only the last 100 MAC address can use the system.
The idea behind this is to create a list of licensed MAC addresses without the need to predefine them (if I have a customer with 30,000 MAC address, I don't want to have to list all of them one by one).
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

One way is to use trusted storage-based licensing: with this option, you can sell a bundle of 100 "activatable" licenses to a customer, and the customer makes these licenses available on their network. Next, 100 employees can detach licenses from the internal server, after which no more licenses can be detached.
0 Kudos
eranhor
Level 3

And the detachment can be based on MAC addresses or named users?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The trusted storage option won't be based on MAC addresses, though the server from which the licenses are detached will keep track of the hostnames of the target systems.

Another option is floating licenses based on license files; the license server can use an administrative options file that lists the 100 users allowed to use the licenses on the network.

Yet another option is to use FLEXnet Operations to define a customer's entitlement to fulfill 100 licenses; the 100 users log in to the system and enter their MAC address, and FLEXnet Operations generates the node-locked license.
0 Kudos
eranhor
Level 3

I still do not understand if what I require is available.
Can you please check my first post where I detailed my exact requirement and tell me if it is possible?
I understand that Flexnet has many features, but this is the feature that I am looking for.

Thanks for your help,
Eran
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

It's surely possible with a bit of extra programming, though collecting MAC addresses isn't done by default. At this stage, it might be better to discuss your specific requirements with pre-sales staff available through our Contact Us page.
0 Kudos
eranhor
Level 3

Great. Thanks a lot for your help.:D

We will open a direct support call
0 Kudos