Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ravikiran
Level 5

preview all features option not working

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using the examples provided along with the Flexnet .NET XT SDK.

I have set the preview option and also enabled all features to true and generated the capability request and send the same to the back office server.

The response is success, but I did not receive any feature details, even though there are features.

Please let me know if anyone faced similar problem, or know the solution.

Regards,

RaviKiran

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Ravikiran ,

That is the problem.  Think of FlexNet Operations as an Activation Server as opposed to a License Server. 

When devices (including license servers) communicate directly with FlexNet Operations using capability requests, they will use Activation IDs  (also known as Rights IDs) from Entitlements.  So Devices send Activation Requests using Activation IDs to FlexNet Operations, which will return the licensed features for the Entitled Products. 

A License Server (Cloud or Local) will go through this activation process with FlexNet Operations and will then hold a pool of license features (Let's assume it is a floating/concurrent license model).   Devices will send capability requests to a License Server with the desired license features as opposed to Activation IDs.   

A preview request is intended for previewing the license features on a license server (not FlexNet Operations).    This is referenced in the User Guides under the Capability Preview Section "The FlexNet Embedded client application can preview features currently available to it on the license server by sending a capability request marked for “preview” purposes".   

The key point here is FlexNet Operations is not a License Server. 

Additionally, I enabled the Preview Request for all Features using the Capability Request example provided in the .NET XT toolkit.  I requested a preview of features on a specific Cloud Server that had a single feature called "survey" .  The output from the preview request is shown below:

INFO: Features loaded from trusted storage: 0
INFO: Creating the capability request
INFO: Sending the capability request to: https://flexNNNN-uat.compliance.flexnetoperations.com:443/instances/9X41XLS5SW42/request
INFO: Response received
INFO: Examining preview capability response
INFO: Obtaining capability response details
INFO: Machine type: PHYSICAL
INFO: Capability response contains 0 vendor dictionary items
INFO: Renew Interval is 0 hours
INFO: Capability response contains 0 status items
INFO: Confirmation request is not needed
INFO: ==============================================
INFO: Features found in preview capability response:

INFO: 1: survey 1.0 TYPE=preview COUNT=2 MAXCOUNT=5 EXPIRATION=9/18/2020 6:01:05 PM VENDOR_STRING="e0a3-1369-4e8c-4691-a7c9-31a6-d03e-60f8" ISSUED=9/10/2020 12:00:00 AM NOTICE="Survey Product.2020" START=10/3/2018 12:00:00 AM

Hope that helps.

Thx,  

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Ravikiran ,

When you stated you are sending the capability request to the "back office server", are you sending it to FlexNet Operations or a Cloud License Server?   A preview request can only be used to preview licenses on a License Server.

Thanks,

0 Kudos

Hi  @jberthold ,

I am sending the capability reques to the FNO server, not the cloud one. I have set the proxy server & port as well on the connection object. Getting success response but with empty data (no features are returned). I tried this program in C & .NET versions, all are same behavior.

Hence, looking for anything else to set on the connection object ?

Regards,

RaviKiran

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Ravikiran ,

That is the problem.  Think of FlexNet Operations as an Activation Server as opposed to a License Server. 

When devices (including license servers) communicate directly with FlexNet Operations using capability requests, they will use Activation IDs  (also known as Rights IDs) from Entitlements.  So Devices send Activation Requests using Activation IDs to FlexNet Operations, which will return the licensed features for the Entitled Products. 

A License Server (Cloud or Local) will go through this activation process with FlexNet Operations and will then hold a pool of license features (Let's assume it is a floating/concurrent license model).   Devices will send capability requests to a License Server with the desired license features as opposed to Activation IDs.   

A preview request is intended for previewing the license features on a license server (not FlexNet Operations).    This is referenced in the User Guides under the Capability Preview Section "The FlexNet Embedded client application can preview features currently available to it on the license server by sending a capability request marked for “preview” purposes".   

The key point here is FlexNet Operations is not a License Server. 

Additionally, I enabled the Preview Request for all Features using the Capability Request example provided in the .NET XT toolkit.  I requested a preview of features on a specific Cloud Server that had a single feature called "survey" .  The output from the preview request is shown below:

INFO: Creating the capability request
INFO: Sending the capability request to: https://flexNNNN-uat.compliance.flexnetoperations.com:443/instances/9X41XLS5SW42/request
INFO: Obtaining capability response details
INFO: Machine type: PHYSICAL
INFO: Capability response contains 0 vendor dictionary items
INFO: Renew Interval is 0 hours
INFO: Capability response contains 0 status items
INFO: Confirmation request is not needed
INFO: ==============================================
INFO: Features found in preview capability response:

INFO: 1: survey 1.0 TYPE=preview COUNT=2 MAXCOUNT=5 EXPIRATION=9/18/2020 6:01:05 PM VENDOR_STRING="e0a3-1369-4e8c-4691-a7c9-31a6-d03e-60f8" ISSUED=9/10/2020 12:00:00 AM NOTICE="Survey Product.2020" START=10/3/2018 12:00:00 AM

Hope that helps.

Thx,  

anekant7
Level 2

Hello Jim,

We are using below command for preview capability request,
-preview -server https://flex1287-uat.flexnetoperations.com/instances/8YCE7SKJJM24/request

Where we are facing below error,

ERROR: FlxDotNetClient.InsufficientDataException encountered:
A service system error was encountered: The size of provided data is incorrect. [1,7E6,9,0[70000006,20203C68,190A20]]

Is it correct way to use for sending preview capability request? If yes is there anything we are missing in code/command as we are facing above error 

The console output which we received as below,

INFO: Creating the preview capability request
INFO: Sending the capability request to: https://flex1287-uat.flexnetoperations.com/instances/8YCE7SKJJM24/request
INFO: Successfully sent capability request
INFO: Previewing response
ERROR: FlxDotNetClient.InsufficientDataException encountered:
A service system error was encountered: The size of provided data is incorrect. [1,7E6,9,0[70000006,20203C68,190A20]]

Thanks 
Anekant

jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @anekant7 ,

You are missing "compliance" in your FlexNet Operations URL.  Please use:  

https://flex1287-uat.compliance.flexnetoperations.com/instances/8YCE7SKJJM24/request

and you should be good to go.

Best regards,

Jim