cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dstrigl
Level 3

Determine the time until a needed renew for a feature with borrow interval

Is there any way to determine the time until a renew has to be performed for a feature with borrow interval?

Regards,

Daniel.

0 Kudos
(6) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi Daniel,

The borrow interval is available in the capability response returned by the server.  In the .NET XT kit it is response.RenewInterval.

In my test case I do not specify a borrow or renew interval in my license model so the default settings in FNO are being used from System/Configure/Embedded Devices/License Generation.  Default value for Borrow interval is 604800 seconds (1 week) and default value for Renew interval is 20% of the Borrow Interval or 120960 seconds (1.4 days).

Thanks,

0 Kudos

Hi jberthold,

maybe I didn't understand the concept of "borrow interval" right, beacuse I have the following situation I don't understand:

I have created a License Model with

• Maximum Borrow Interval of 1 Day and
  • Renew Intervalof 50%

Now I created a simple C# example inside a Virtual Maschine with connection to flexnetoperations.

I requested for the a entitlement with a product (feature) created with the upper License Model (Borrow Interval of 1 Day) and stored the received license inside the trusted storage.

Now I changed the source code to just aquire for this feature. Works fine, so far ...

But than I dropped the connection to flexnetoperations. I just disabled any connection to the Internet inside the Virtual Maschine.

I assumption now was, that the aquire of the feature will fail after 1 day without connection to the flexnetoperations.

But the aquire still works after 3 days without network connection. Just this be the normal case? Maybe I understand something wrong?!

I thounght that I can aquire the license, but have to renew it after the specified borrow interval.

And about the "borrow interval is available in the capability response" ... Is there no way to get it from the tusted storage to ask for the time until I have to renew it? (Maybe to show the user some kind of message to go until in the next X days, otherwise the license get invalid ...)

Regards,

Daniel.

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi Daniel,

Just so I'm clear, are you sending a Capability Request to FlexNet Operations using an Activation ID or are you sending a Capability Request containing only the desired license Features to either a Cloud or Local License Server?  The Borrow interval only applies in a floating/concurrent scenario where a License Server is first activated with a pool of license features.   Clients then send Capability Requests to the license server with the desired Features/Versions/Quantities.  If available license features will be returned to the client which will expire after the designated borrow interval has elapsed.  Clients must periodically renew the license features with the server to prevent them from expiring.  Once the borrow period elapses without a refresh, any subsequent acquisitions of the Features from local trusted storage will fail. 

If you are sending a capability request to FlexNet Operations with an Activation ID to obtain license features for an Entitled Product, FlexNet Operations will return all license features associated with the Product for the duration of the Entitlement.  If the entitlement expiration is permanent, the licensed features returned to the client will never expire in local trusted storage.

Thanks,       

0 Kudos

Ok, thanks for your explaination ... now it's more clear to me!

But again one question:

Is it possible to "lock" (remove) a already given permanent license afterwards?

I saw that I can change the state of a deployed entitlement to "Inactive".

Is it possible to check the state of the entitlement (with CapabilityRequestOperation.Preview;) from time to time and validate if it is still "Deployed" or set to "Invalid" (or some other state)?

What we would like to perform is some kind check, where the user must be online at least all 3-weeks so that the license can be checked if still valid.

Is this possible?

Regards,

Danie.

0 Kudos

Sorry, forgot to answer your questions:

> are you sending a Capability Request to FlexNet Operations using an Activation ID or are you sending

> a Capability Request containing only the desired license Features to either a Cloud or Local License Server?

I am sending a Capability Request to FlexNet Operations using an Activation ID.

And afterwards (to remove the aquired license) only the Feature without the Activation ID in the request.

Regards,

Daniel.

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi Daniel,

The behavior you are seeing now makes sense.   If you want concurrent/floating license behavior where a client requests/borrows a license with periodic refreshes then either a Cloud or Local License Server must be used.   To see how this works with a Cloud Server I'd recommend taking a look at the "Getting Started Guide with Cloud Licensing Service" section in the FlexNet Operations User Guide.  There is a video that walks through the examples in this section in the Community under  Other Resources / Learning Center / FlexNet Embedded / Cloud Licensing with FlexNet Operations and FlexNet Embedded.

Thanks,

0 Kudos