cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Splinter
Level 4

update service agent proxy issue on Linux

Hi Kelly,

As far as I know the agent doesn't work with proxy on Linux a long time(at least from InstallShield X). So we can't use Update Service on Linux since the number of customers who work without proxy -> 0. Also I know that this bug already in your bug database. Could you please update us when you planning to fix this emergency issue?

thanks
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

I spoke with several of the client-side devs and they didn't see such a work order in our system. Could you please post it to the eService system with as much info as you can (the proxy server / version you're using, which Linux distro, etc.)

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
Splinter
Level 4

Hi Kelly,

Please see the InstallShield support team answer on this question(in was some month ago):

Sent: 04/29/05 @ 6:14 AM PDT

Sergey,

If your machine connects to the internet through a proxy server, you will not be able to connect to the Update Service and will receive UpdateServiceException saying that you are not connected or the Update Service is not available. This is a known issue.

This issue has been reproduced and determined to be a bug in our software. This issue has been submitted to our Development team as work order #1-10L8WT.

Currently there is no workaround for this issue. Our Development team is investigating this issue, but at this moment, there is no estimated time frame for when this issue will be fixed.

You can track the status of this issue using work order number by checking release notes at www.installshield.com/downloads or searching the Knowledge Base at http://support.installshield.com/kb/.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this service request, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Tony

Unfortunatelly I have no access to you new bug track system (eService). I had account in previous one but it seems that this account wasn't moved to eService. And when I tried to register in eSevece again I recieve "Our records indicate that you do not have a valid Macrovision
maintenance plan. As a result, we cannot issue you an eService login at
this time.
" message 😞

I don't know what proxy server our company use, but this issue apper on all Linux distros which I tried(diff version of RH and SuSE). This problem happens not only with me. Look at this topic in IS 11 Universal thread.

thanks
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Thanks. I've forwarded this link to one of my fellow devs to check out the work order referenced. Also, please see your PMs if you still need an eService account. (There appears to be a slight disconnect there which is being investigated, so you may need to apply for eService account and tell them you're an active Update Service person, your serial, etc. )

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
Splinter
Level 4

Hi Kelly,

Any news?

tnx
0 Kudos
RobCoon
Level 3

Splinter,

I am looking into fixing the proxy discovery code for the next release. However, there is something you can try if you already know the proxy settings. Add the following to the product properties, via Agent.setProperty (or by editing the file yourself):
UseProxy=1
ProxyServer=[server]
ProxyPort=[port]

If the proxy server requires authentication, also add the following:
ProxyAuthentication=1
ProxyUserName=[name]
ProxyPassword=[password]

Please try this out and let me know how it works.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Splinter
Level 4

Thanks,

Will try ASAP.
0 Kudos
Splinter
Level 4

Hi Rob,

Sorry for delay. Could you explain bit more how I can setup this property?

thanks
0 Kudos
AlexanderRodov
Level 3

Kelly,

Is there any workaround to the problem?

Thank you,
Alex
0 Kudos
RobCoon
Level 3

Currently, the only workaround is to retrieve the proxy information yourself, either by prompting the end user, or finding it in the registry or browser support files (OS specific), and then setting the properties for your product as described in the earlier post.
0 Kudos
Splinter
Level 4

Hi Rob,

Sorry, but I'm not very familiar with InstallShield and Update Serveice yet. Could you explain bit for how to setup the properties which you described below?

thanks
0 Kudos
Edward_Tse
Level 2

Here you go

import isus.Agent;

Agent agent = new Agent();
String strProductCode = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001}";
agent.setProperty(strProductCode, "UseProxy", "1");
agent.setProperty(strProductCode, "ProxyServer", "www.myProxy.com");
agent.setProperty(strProductCode, "ProxyPort", "8080");
agent.setProperty(strProductCode, "ProxyAuthentication", "1");