cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrsharkbait
Level 4

sample database

I'd like to test with the sample database set up, but couldn't get it working. I tried to manually register the GUID with versions 1.1 and 1.2, but I still get back a product not registered error.

I would be really helpful for the documentation to give instructions on how to get it working in addition to just telling us that it's there.

-mrsharkbait
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

The sample database entries were removed for two reasons...

1. We didn't see any activity against them for a long time.
2. You can just create a trial account for testing if you don't want to put test data into your real account.

We tried to remove the sample data from our docs, but there are probably a few places we missed.

If you see a need for them, let us know. We can certainly put them back.
0 Kudos
mrsharkbait
Level 4

I have been struggling with getting AutoUpdate to work properly, and if there is a known database that works it would really help me in debugging my environment.

I think the reason why the sample database is not accessed is that it has not had adequate visibility from the beginning - I "stumbled" across it in the docs. If you do decide to put back the data, I'd suggest going a bit more and provide a Reference implementation:

- Provide InstallShield projects (.ism) with the necessary merge module(s), which will be used to create the installer image that will demonstrate the various features.

- Provide update projects that will create an update and/or patch that demonstrates interactive and silent updates, authentication, etc. that will showcase the various messages and filtering mechanisms available from the service.

- Provide server side samples that works with the sample database.

While the learning curve for the service wasn't steep, getting all the necessary components set up right required a lot of trial and error, and that time could be saved if an effective Reference implementation were in place.
0 Kudos